Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have zero help at my house to help me. What 0ne-man device do you guys use to bleed your brakes? I am assuming it is the same as bleeding a bike, but I can easily do that since they are in reach

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
There are several inexpensive in line one way bleeder valves available. Two drawbacks though. Most won't work with a dry (new) system and a problem I've experienced with the imported wheel cylinders is when the bleeder valve is cracked the valve is very loose in the threaded bore and sucks air back in when the brake pedal is released while attempting to bleed it. I've overcome that one by wrapping the valve with teflon tape. The other is: push the brake pedal all the way to the floor and use something to keep it there because you want the master cylinder piston where fluid will flow past it. Fill the master. Open all four bleeder valves so the fluid will gravity flow through the new lines and fill the wheel cylinders until it runs out the bleeder valve. Obviously keep a check on the fluid level while doing this. If you know someone with a power bleeder maybe you can borrow it, they really make the job easier.

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Dave, I have used the gravity method, and my Mitey Vac vacuum bleeder. Both work, but if I use the gravity method I sometimes follow up with my vacuum bleeder if I don't get good brake pedal.
When using the gravity method I get small hose that fits the bleed screws and slip a piece of hose over each bleeder. Put a small container on the floor at each wheel and put the end of the hose into the container. Then fill the reservoir and check it about once an hour to keep the fluid level up. Should only take maybe 3 hours to bleed through.
With my MiteyVac I start at the furthest away wheel and attach it to the bleeder. Hook the hose on and suck the fluid out by pumping the vacuum pump until it gets good fluid flow. Close the bleeder screw, and move to the next closest wheel. Repeat until you reach the 4th closest wheel, and you're done. It's much faster, and usually what I choose to do mine. I haven't had any issues with a new system not bleeding or sucking fluid with my vacuum bleeder.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Gravity. Or the vacuum tool. Both work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts