Gasser HotRods banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was a great article and really enjoyed it. One thing I learned was that Don lived in South Pasadena and attended the local high school as did I. I bought my very first "speed equipment" part there in 1966, a length of Packard 440 solid core plug wire and a set of Raja clips. I thought I was going to go 300 mph when I put that stuff on!! I continued to do business there until I got married and moved down to Mission Viejo in 1988. I spent many a Saturday (and lots of money) there browsing through his large section of used parts but also hanging out in the parking lot, bull shitting, setting up street races and checking out the other cars. One of the many cool things about Don (aside from his vast knowledge) was that he never told us to leave. Those were great years to grow up in because of all the personal freedoms we enjoyed.

Blair’s: The World’s Oldest Speed Shop — TorqTalk

This sweatshirt is probably older than many of our members. The neck is all stretched out, it hasn't really been white for decades, many years ago I cut the sleeves off because they were so worn out but anytime I wear it now, for me it's a tapestry of my life.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
I thought this was a great article and really enjoyed it. One thing I learned was that Don lived in South Pasadena and attended the local high school as did I. I bought my very first "speed equipment" part there in 1966, a length of Packard 440 solid core plug wire and a set of Raja clips. I thought I was going to go 300 mph when I put that stuff on!! I continued to do business there until I got married and moved down to Mission Viejo in 1988. I spent many a Saturday (and lots of money) there browsing through his large section of used parts but also hanging out in the parking lot, bull shitting, setting up street races and checking out the other cars. One of the many cool things about Don (aside from his vast knowledge) was that he never told us to leave. Those were great years to grow up in because of all the personal freedoms we enjoyed.

Blair’s: The World’s Oldest Speed Shop — TorqTalk

This sweatshirt is probably older than many of our members. The neck is all stretched out, it hasn't really been white for decades, many years ago I cut the sleeves off because they were so worn out but anytime I wear it now, for me it's a tapestry of my life.
View attachment 106911 View attachment 106912
Nice article Steve, thanks for posting.

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
Nice article, but I'd challenge their claim to being the first speed shop. We had Radke's here in Portland that started out in 1933 as a regular auto parts store. Then after WWII they became a hotrod speed shop for all the locals looking for hotrod parts to build up their cars. For over 80 years they were the go to place for many hotrodders, and a big supporter of the hobby.
In 2015 the family threw in the towel saying they couldn't compete with online sales, and chain stores.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blairs Speed Shop was never a regular auto parts store Vall. From its inception in 1945 it was a speed shop. I guess looking at it from the standpoint of Radkes being a regular auto parts store beginning in 1933 would definitely make it older business than Blairs. Do you know how long after the end of WW2 they became a speed shop? Since WW2 ended in September of 1945, depending on how long after the end of the war that Rankes became a speed shop Blairs just might be the oldest still in business speed shop in the country. It would be interesting to know for certain though. At least they were both West Coast stores though. I rather imagine what has helped Blairs stay afloat is their chassis shop, fabrication and engine building expertise and they do still buy and sell used speed parts. I bought my first pair of mags with tires on them from Blairs and they were used. I think I paid $75 for the pair. God damn I miss those days!!! :cry:

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
Radke's didn't become a full fledged "speed shop until well after WWII, in around 47-48 era. So based on strictly a speed shop from inception Blair's would win. And of course Radke's closed. Didn't know Blair's still existed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts