Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my big block in my wagon is a gen 5 454 using gen5 flywheel 12 inch , clutch, pressure plate transmission -m-21 bell housing- truck with the three bolt holes my 454 used to have a auto behind it starter snout is to big to go in old style bell housing before i go buy a mini starter. is there any other cheap stock starter that will work? i read yesterday some were a 4.3 will work. trying to stay on a cheap ass budget for now. just want to get it running for now plan on upgrading later on. if anyone here has in the past or present had this problem and resolved it please let me know. thank you

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
I've never had a fitment issue with my BBC 427. I've always had an automatic behind it, so not sure why a stick bellhousing would be different. I can tell you that all Chevy starters are not wound the same, and using a 4.3 starter will not be a good idea from a amperage point of view. BBC need a high torque starter, and I found that out over the years by having several Chevy V8 starters go out in a year's use. I finally bought a starter made specifically for a LS6 BBC and it's been in there for over 20 years now.
If you have a local rebuilder in your area you might take your present starter to them and see if they can change the snout to one with different clearance to work with your engine. Or they may be able to show you one designed for your engine so you can compare the two side by side before making a decision. You could also try a local parts store to compare, but they wont be able to swap a snout like a rebuilder can.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Just thought of something else! When I went to a mini starter on my 327, the snout was actually larger than the stock starter! I had to cut the opeing on my converter cover to allow room for the larger snout's size.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i have the the both bolt holes the ones directly into the belhousing and the ones that go up in the block i found a guy a few blocks from me that was parting a 02 s-10 with a 4.3 it is a mini high tourq starter it fit right in i will have the batt and wires hooked up tommorow to see how good it works according to gm that is the same starter that comes on a 502 crate engine it only set me back 20 bucks and i have a ls6 starter it wasnt even close like i said i was just being cheap till the end of the month after all the work i did like hell if im just gonna let it sit till feb i want to start that sucker

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Glad you got it figured out, and cheap too! Good news on the hi torque starters too. I didn't know they used the same on all engine sizes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
im not sure i havent been into chevys since 1982.but that paticular starter on a 1999-2004 4.3 vortec is the same part number used on big block 502 crate engine,i dont think they all are mini tourq because they guy across the street has a 86 s-10 blazer 4x4 with a v6 i checked his out to compare and it looks bigger like the original one on my 454.we will find out if it works here shortly when i go out and work on it today. how dose that austin run pretty nice?

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
im not sure i havent been into chevys since 1982.but that paticular starter on a 1999-2004 4.3 vortec is the same part number used on big block 502 crate engine,i dont think they all are mini tourq because they guy across the street has a 86 s-10 blazer 4x4 with a v6 i checked his out to compare and it looks bigger like the original one on my 454.we will find out if it works here shortly when i go out and work on it today. how dose that austin run pretty nice?
Much better with 168 teeth than it did with 167 teeth! ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well everyone the starter problem is fixed for now. it fit right in, and bolted up no shimming and seem to be working pretty good for now. we will see am time goes on. im running fenderwell headersthe are abought 15 inches away, so it should work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts