Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the motor and trans back into my coupe. I bought a new transmission dip stick that meets NHRA requirements to have a locking stick. Of course the angle of the stick combined with the transmission shield are going to require me to modify the shape of the tube. It is a little over a half inch in diameter, so a brake line tool will not work. Any suggestions? Right now it is under the firewall and no way in heck to get it back out or in. Had to pull the motor part of the way back out to pull it loose. Probably don't need anything too drastic. Just a couple of inches forward. I just don't want to crumple the sides of the stick housing.:confused:

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Mike is a lokar braided trans flex tube nhra legal? They flex wherever you need. Worth the money. I just don't know if they are legal. I don't see why not.
Mario

·
Registered
170 Posts
They make springs to bend elec. PVC conduit you slide it inside then bend it. If you can fit a 1/2 type in it then heat it that should work as the spring keeps the pipe from kinking . Just a thought Mike

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure on the Lokar. I know NHRA just started this locking dipstick rule for transmissions. Maybe not yet, but I am pretty sure if they can they will. For now I was able to get one from Mancini Racing. Just the angle doesnt like my floorboards. Thanks Scott I will check the local electrical supply house for the spring. I know what they are. Just never tried something like this with them.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I am not sure on the Lokar. I know NHRA just started this locking dipstick rule for transmissions. Maybe not yet, but I am pretty sure if they can they will. For now I was able to get one from Mancini Racing. Just the angle doesnt like my floorboards. Thanks Scott I will check the local electrical supply house for the spring. I know what they are. Just never tried something like this with them.
don't forget the long handle conduit benders with the aluminum die as well . I have one here wish I could loan it to you.
mario

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mario, not familiar with that one. Electrical Supply store? Can you post a photo so I know what to look for.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
It's at Home Depot I believe. I'll try and find a pic for you.
Mario

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
This is what I was talkin about

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mario, I have seen them, wasn't sure what they were for. Only thing I know about electrical is flip da switch! :)

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Yeah I am hobbyist at best. :)
Mario

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, you had me thinking (dangerous). I checked Lokar and they do make a locking trans dip stick. Spendy. I will try and bend this one first. But thanks.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
1/2" conduit benders are for 1/2" EMT, which has an OD of 7/8", so it will not work well if your tube is a true 1/2". It will allow your tube to flatten out, and possibly kink when bending. Most tubes are also pretty hard metal, and not sure the coil spring benders that supply houses have will do it either; plus they are also for 7/8" diameter tubing.
If I were bending it I'd probably consider applying some heat Mike. Heat on the outside of the bend should allow the tube to bend without kinking or collapsing. Just take it slowly and watch it as you bend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts