Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, anyone have any tips/advice on a wiend tunnel ram and dual holley 4 barrel setup on a big block chevy. My car is a 1956 Chevy straight front axle.
I will be using it for drag racing only, mostly nostalgia, some bracket.
12 bolt 4:88 gears, PG and 4500 stall, BBC 13:1, brodix heads, solid cam.
I have many years experience with single 4 barrel.
I have no idea where to start with twins.
I have 2 850 cfm holleys I would like to use.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Glen

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Two 850's huh? That's a lot of air, even for a well built BBC, and might add some tuning issues to the mix! To start be sure the carbs work simultaneously. Dual quads on a low rise like progressive linkage, but tunnel rams will lean out on some cylinders if they aren't simultaneously opened.
I ran into all the issues when trying to get my tunnel ram working. Had to change the accelerator pumps from the stock 30cc to 50 cc, then change the pump cams to get a quicker shot. I also changed the squirters to a larger 35 to get a better shot, and had to fool with the timing to get it to be advanced enough to work with the tunnel ram. Once I got all the changes made it actually runs really well.
With those big 850's I'd give it a run stock to start, and if it stumbles at low end I'd swap the squirter nozzles first. If that doesn't overcome low end stumble, then I'd swap the accelerator pumps/cams.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I had twin 600s on a tunnel ram on my '67 Nova 377 sbc. I had idle issues where, to get it to idle, I kept getting the primary throttle blades opening into the main throttle slots and it would idle way too high and load up. I eventually readjusted both of the carbs secondary throttle plates closed all the way so they would not allow any air past them at idle. This allowed both primary throttles to close back down getting the blades back into the idle/low speed slots. It cleaned up the transition from the idle section into the main section. Idle to wide open throttle was great, even at lower rpms. Then I fine tuned with squirters and pump cams. But I never had to go to 50cc pumps. Mark L

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im in the same boat. I have a moderately built 396 making appx. 450hp. Going to try out a Weiand tunnel ram and two Holley 660s. Unfortunately my carb knowledge whether it be 1 or 2 is pathetic. Fortunately i have friends that are willing to help and are eggin me on to do it. I intend to primarily use the car on the street and for moderate road trips but would also like to get on the strip. So lets keep in touch, maybe we could help each other out!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
GasserHotRod

.........So lets keep in touch, maybe we could help each other out!
Scoop & Max ..... that is what this forum is all about.

Even though we do not have the enormous amount of members & BIG numbers of threads, posts & views..... we are here for each other just like you said Max..... we "help each other out".

There is a very open to all & all types of builds & years of vehicles.

Of course most of us here have, are building or plan to a gasser-styled car/truck.

But what I think is unique & also welcoming to all is how everyone here is into the TRUE meaning of "hot rods" which is the "other" part of what this forum is all about.

The term "hot rod" covers a lot of cars..... In my interpretation "hot rod' encompasses any make of car "old or new" that is been "modified" is some way or another.

..... and ALL are welcome.....

We are becoming "family"!!!!

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Im in the same boat. I have a moderately built 396 making appx. 450hp. Going to try out a Weiand tunnel ram and two Holley 660s. Unfortunately my carb knowledge whether it be 1 or 2 is pathetic. Fortunately i have friends that are willing to help and are eggin me on to do it. I intend to primarily use the car on the street and for moderate road trips but would also like to get on the strip. So lets keep in touch, maybe we could help each other out!
Jeff (1956 Chevy Gasser here) and I put a Weiand tunnel ram with two 500 cfm Edelbrocks on his '56 Chevy. After all the tuning and adjusting I did on my Holley Pro Dominator and twin 450's on my 327, I told him we'd be doing a lot of fiddling on his 350 to get them working. I'm not an Edelbrock guy, and know nothing about them, but I was shocked when we fired it off and it purred like a kitten! Never touched a screw since, and it runs as smooth as a single 4 barrel on a 350.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I had an Edelbrock TR1 on a 327 back in the mid 70's with two 600 Holleys. Straight out of the box the Holleys performed perfectly. I made some minor adjustments after installation and do not remember touching them afterwards. That was in a '67 Chevelle and I put a lot of miles on it. Never had one minutes trouble. :)

Great job on your '55. Good luck with the 2X4"S!

BTW......I need a tunnel ram for the BBC going into the Morris, anyone. :) :)

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
I had an Edelbrock TR1 on a 327 back in the mid 70's with two 600 Holleys. Straight out of the box the Holleys performed perfectly. I made some minor adjustments after installation and do not remember touching them afterwards. That was in a '67 Chevelle and I put a lot of miles on it. Never had one minutes trouble. :)

Great job on your '55. Good luck with the 2X4"S!

BTW......I need a tunnel ram for the BBC going into the Morris, anyone. :) :)
If I find two, I'll let you know about one of them! ;)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thanks, Vall! And I'll do the same for you, should I find a couple first. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have a 434 small block with 2 450 i would try to stay between 600 & 650 with a progesive linkage 1200 cfm is alot of air

1 - 12 of 12 Posts