Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched until I am brain fried. It seems that there are 2 types of Fenderwell headers readily available, 1955-1957 Big Block or 1935-1948 Small Block.. Is there a set that will fit a BBC stuffed into a 1939 Plymouth? Or am I forced to build a set? The tri-five headers for big blocks all appear to be waaay too wide. :confused:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Find a 55 to measure or look up the frame width. Compare it to your frame. Also would depend on the amount of set back you have on the engine compared to a 55. The lower leg of the cowl on the 39 is similar to the 38 I think. It comes down into a frame mount for the body. That limited the area that I had for fenderwells on mine. I ended up moving the mounts back about two inches and still ended up needed custom made headers. Buy a set of rusty crusty used ones at the swap meet and see if they fit.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Hi Chris,
I check ebay every day. These came up earlier and didn't sell, the dude was asking a bit more than Speedway was selling them for new. He's relisted them at a lower price but I wouldn't be surprised if you contacted him and made a lower offer he might take it just to get rid of them. How are your welding and fabrication skills? With a good selection of prebent tubing you could probably have a decent set of headers.

www.ebay.com/itm/Gasser-BBC-Fenderw...Project-/291598739785?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Wow! Those headers are truly butchered up! Considering how cheap they are at Speedway ($200) I'd start with a fresh set, and not have to fix all the uglies put on those Ebay headers.
My buddy used the Tri Five Chevy BBC headers on his old Plymouth coupe with BBC engine. Had to do some notching of the fenders to make them fit in. If you didn't want to notch them, you could shorten the tubes at the flange a couple inches, and they'd clear fine. But depending on the height of your motor mounts, they might clear fine if the engine is nestled deep into the chassis.
The "Fat Fender Chevy" Patriot SBC headers will work great on your coupe. I'm using them on my Austin, and they barely fit inside my front fender drops, but my car is very small! On a larger 30's and 40's coupe, they'd be a perfect fit. But I would change the collector if I had it to do over again! They come with 2.5" collectors, and a 3" would be much better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts