Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're aluminum bbc heads common during the gasser war day or were iron heads the way of the world at that time ??

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
I don't really have a good idea if very many guys used aluminum heads, but I think Steve is correct about aftermarket. They were non existent in the late gasser era. Since the BBC didn't come into production cars until 1965, and that was a 396, it would be '67 when the 427 came around, and even then there weren't a lot of gassers with BBC power. I would guess that most used factory cast iron heads and did some bench porting to make them flow well.
If I was concerned about being period correct today, I'd just paint the aluminum heads engine color, and maybe JB Weld over any name stampings on the heads before painting them. I left my Edelbrocks bare, so they're not period correct, but I'm not too concerned.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright that confirms my knowledge. Dart makes the iron eagle 345cc cast iron heads that'll probly do a swell job on top of the big block. Thanks for the knowledge guys.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you want to disguise aluminum heads as iron stockers,here's the method I use:

1: Put an aluminum head and a stock iron head side by side on your work bench.

2: Compare differences in the two,and mark any sharp corners that need to be radiused,casting marks or contours that need to be added to ciliary approximate the stockers

3: Use a small grinder with a sanding wheel to contour and radius the heads,a die grinder to help imitate casting lines (you can run a bead of weld,then dress it with the die grinder to make it look super realistic),and finally,use a pneumatic needle scaler to rough up the surface and approximate the surface texture of cast iron

4: Lightly dust the heads with etching primer (to promote adhesion,but not lose the important surface texture),then apply your favorite Chevy orange,Ford blue, etc to finish.

Once accessories are installed and the engine is in the car it should blend in very well.
I'm doing a "225hp 289" like this right now....(It's actually a 550hp 347 stroker with aluminum heads and intake).

Scott

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott, thanks for the tip. The big block is going to have the aluminum head look now because they're in the builders hands. They'll be just fine. Everyone's eyes will be fixed on the stack injection. I keep thinking blown hemi. My wife's gonna kill me !!

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Blown hemi is my dream too Jason. Lol
Mario

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went and looked at a 392 a guy had. That's the perfect gasser bullit. Long story short after I had my wife drive 8 hrs to meet me in the pickup truck because we were several states away from each other all this guy had was a bunch of rusted weight for the scrap yard. I really wanted to boot the guys ass up between his ears but I left respectfully. I'm still secretively on the hunt :)

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
That's so irritating to have someone waste your time and gas money! Some people just seem to hope you want something desperately enough that you'll buy it regardless, once you've driven far enough.
I sure wouldn't feel bad about the BBC, or the aluminum heads. As a matter of fact, I don't feel bad about my BBC and aluminum heads! I didn't even paint them up or disguise them! ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That guy had me so pissed off over that deal. Not so much about wasting my time but I had my wife travel 8 hrs to meet me. One of the cylinder walls had non fixable hammer marks in it from a wrist pin and the dude said "you can just put a sleeve in it" I was about to hit him over the head with the crankshaft. Oh well that's that ! Ever since then when something goes array around the house my wife says "just put a sleeve in it". Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts