Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone! So im finally starting to put my motor together. its a mark 4 block, i have a pair of 1968 heads, a weliand tunnel ram. The block is all standard and very clean. I was told it was a marine bottom end. I now need to order a cam and with that figure out what size carbs to get. Im a ford man and also have never delt with duals before so im very curious as what i should go with. I plan to keep the engine standard if possible and this will be a cruiser and maybe make a few passes now and then. thanks!

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
You just described my BBC engine in my Falcon! Mine is a very stock 2 bolt main 454 BBC, bored .040" over. I'm running Edelbrock oval port heads, so probably very similar to your '68 heads, other than maybe a slightly larger runner on mine. Those older heads will really bump your compression up! If your engine is flat top pistons, you'll end up around 10.25-10.50 to 1 compression. If they're dished you'll probably be around 9.5:1 CR.
I'm also running an old Weiand tunnel ram, and twin 600 cfm Holley vacuum secondary carbs. I think they are the perfect size for the 454 and tunnel ram, and vacuum secondaries are very helpful for a mostly street engine. The throttle response is amazing, and it pulls very hard right off idle to 6,000 rpm's quickly. Too quickly sometimes! If you like Edelbrock carbs, I'd still stay with at least a 500 cfm, but I think the 600 cfm would be better.
I chose the Comp Thumpr mid range flat tappet cam for mine. I wanted the nice sound, and ignored the rants on the internet about how they aren't a real performance cam. I'm glad I did, because it's proven it's a great performance cam, and perfect for a dual purpose street/strip car.
This is the one I'm running:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl11-601-4

My car is a 4 speed car, so if your car is an automatic, I'd recommend a high stall converter that's at least 2500 rpm, and maybe a bit more. With a stick I have no problems with the lumpy idle, but at low rpm's (1500 or less) the car lurches as it moves along in gear. I don't mind that, as the only time I'm moving that slow is driving into a car event or stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Everything Vall said pretty much nails it....The BBC engines like to eat valve guides due to wacky valve angles,but if you're not running crazy spring pressure for an .800" lift cam to rev to 8500rpm,then they will last just fine.

You made a great choice,and that thing is gonna be so fun your face will hurt from smiling so much!

Don't be shy about calling the tech line from all the cam companies,and google the smaller guys like Bullet racing cams,Schneider cams,and don't forget the old standby,Isky.All of these guys do stuff based on firsthand,real world experience,and they will really work with you to make things happen for you.

Scott

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have a solid roller from bullet in my chevelle, 434 sb, they are good to deal with. The 496 BBC going in my 51 Dodge, is going to get a hyd roller. They've made a lot of good progress now with the Hyd rollers. Check with Howards cams, been around for a long time and have good prices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts