Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Barn find stuff. For real!

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
...I am looking at the Pos A Tractions for my '55. I need wider tires:D...
I went out to get some stuff for my '55 from a guy on Craigslist. His stash is amazing! He had Barret quality cars - about 40 in 3 buildings! Plus a barn full of mostly tri-fives and Impalas. Along with that he had several Ford convertibles from '32 to the '50s. If anyone wants a nice 2-door late '50s ranch wagon, he wants to sell that one. Nice older custom paint (with Mitch Kim graphics). The cars were stashed all over.

He has a real 409/409 4-gear '62 Convertible - BLACK!!!!!

4 or so Woodys - most were Fords.

His '55 was the one in the front of the Portland Roadster Show - kinda burnt orange and cream with a 600hp BBC and a 6-speed. He said it's his wife June's car. Nice one.

I can't even remember all the stuff he had. It was like a dream, everywhere you looked there were rare parts. Muncies stacked on the shelves, carbs, tires (from bias to the original BFG radials - tons of 'em), accessory parts, fenders, hoods, glass......

I found a set of almost new N-50s that I will pick up to see how they look on the '55. They'll surely stick out a bit, but I think I'll jack it up instead of cutting the wells.

Makes my junk look like junk. :(

Mike

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like you had your own swap meet! If you're looking for wider tires I've got the Mickey Thompson Sportsmans that I just took off the Austin. You can try them to see how they look and not have to buy some just to test fit. If you decide you want them you can have the pair for $50. They got a good 50-60% tread.
They're 29" tall, 10.5" wide, 15" rim.

#4 ·
Nice score!!!

I've been looking for a pair of M/T Sportsman "I" tread tires for my 55 to use instead of slicks. I've always thought they looked kool. I'll probably end up with Indy Profile's till I find a pair of "I" tires.

#5 ·
'69: yeah, I wanted to take some photos but felt like it would be imposing. You know, I was there to buy some parts and can I take photos of all your cars? I might ask him if I can take some when I get the tires.

Vall: I might take you up on that because the N's might be a bit wide and your's are an inch taller. Why did you change to new tires?

Ray: One of my friends in hi-school had Indys on his '67 Olds and I always loved the tread design. I don't think he had any Indys, but I can ask. What size are you looking for?

#7 ·
Mounted the MT's tonight, well one anyway. It looks plenty big in there. I do have about 3 inches inboard but would need different offset wheels. I like the look, it really changes the car.

Mike

Oh, those do look good on there!

Attachments

#9 ·
So many times I've been astounded by what people have in thier "junk" or collections, good and bad. But it's always a pleasure to disciver a guys stuff. Sometimes ya walk away with jealousy just drippin' out your pores. Many times they are the nicest guys to. So ya hate to hate them, LOL.

#10 ·
... Many times they are the nicest guys to. So ya hate to hate them, LOL.
That was this guy. Nicest guy. We talked cars for over an hour with him giving me the royal tour. Met his wife, also very nice. This guys house was amazing, huge. And his garage/shop was way bigger than it looked from the outside. Several 'rooms' and 2-story. There has to be several million dollars worth of cars there.

I wasn't so jealous, but it was cool to see all that stuff. He's 68 and has enough projects to keep him busy until he's 100! He says that his cars are like his kids. Hard to part with them. He said that he just sold a couple '60 Buick convertibles and now wishes that he didn't. So there you go, you can have 50+ cars and still miss the ones you sell. Ain't that the truth?

I wish that I would have taken a couple photos.

Mike

#12 ·
So many times I've talked to guys and looked at their collections, and walked away thinking, if he would just give me one thing I would be in heaven, then I realize I'd never give it away either. So I'd be just like him, although I'll pat myself on the back and tell you that many times I've given things away or sold things way cheap to someone that really needed it or a younger kid that's just getting started. I don't have a lot but I remember what it was like when I had little. My wife yells at me because I then have to spend more money to replace something, or to buy the next thing. But I can tell you that I feel good after doing it. Just hoping I get Carma points, LOL. Mark L

#13 ·
Helping other hotrodders is a good thing. My friend and we usually trade parts or work between us. I sold a good 5.0 roller block to some lower enlisted soldiers for 50 bucks. They both looked at me like i was crazy, but i needed the block gone and im sure they are happy with it. As hot rodders, its good to help each other out.

#15 ·
I think most hotrodders help other friends, and that's good. I have been "burned" occasionally when I helped someone and then they turned around and either resold what I sold them, or sold a car I helped them with because I thought they were going to keep it a long time!
I wont waste a lot of time helping someone who's building a car to turn and sell when done, but it's fun to help each other out on our projects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.