Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not really a barn find,but a 2yr build.350\350 with small Weiand blower-8in rear.Just a fun car you can drive to the track,pound on , then drive home.I always build street gassers because I get more use out of them,although there arnt many of us up here in Ontario. The guys up here just dont get it,but that is another discussion.Remember,sleds are cool,but gassers rule! Steve M Southern Ont. Gassers

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Hi Steve! Street gassers are definitely my choice, and for the same reason. If you want to enjoy a gasser more, it allows me to drive it much more than a strictly race gasser.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome Steve. Very nice 39! Hope you can join us at our Gasser racing series Gold Cup in August @ Empire Dragway. Brian

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi 1955D\GAS I would love to come down and race at Empire.I was going to Lancaster nostalga racing weekend but I hear it has fizzled. Shoot me some dates for Empire and I will try to make it! Thanks-Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all-well spring is here(I hope!) and its time to get the toys out. I want to upgrade the carb on the 39 and I need advise. It has a 600 cfm Holly on a 355 SBC with Weiand 144 blower. The math says to go 850cfm ? but I am thinking 750-800. Should I go vac or mech secondaries? Has anyone had experience with street-strip blower carb applications? Any advise would be appreciated-thanks-Steve

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
As much as I love Holleys, you'd be best off to run a Edelbrock on top a blower. The Holley needs work in the power valve and larger jetting. I have a friend who is the local BDS rep, and he also likes Hollys, but says an Edelbrock is a bolt on and go thing. As for size it's always better to go large with a blower. I'd look at a 800cfm, and vacuum secondaries are fine. Might still need to richen it up with a jet change, but try it first and check your plugs after a short time to see if they look like a lean burn.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1946Austin -Thanks for the valuable advise. I am looking at the Edlebrock 1812 ,800 cfm with adjustable air jet(vac sec.) Most people are steering me towards the Edlebrock and I do need a bolt-on and go carb -I have had very little carb experience-they are like automatic tranys to me,a total mystery! I avoid them like the plague!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Hello Steve. Welcome to the forum. We just had a new member join from the Northwest. He is currently trying to trade for a '39 Ford pickup. The pickup and your coupe would make great gassers. But even if you leave yours the way it is, it is still a classic Rod. Good luck with your carb changes. I think 1946 Austin (Vall) has steered you in a good direction. Mark L

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the Edlebrock 800 cfm carb but have not put it on yet. The plan is to put the carb on,install a Powertrax ,a set of MT 275\55 slicks and maybe a 4.11 gear. That should perk it up a bit. I have a 40-41 Ford PU project but I think I am going to do a 4x4 with it because I need something to plow snow. It would make a neat gasser though-how about a 4x4 gasser?(just kidding)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Edlebrock 1812 Thunderjet really woke it up,thanks for the info. Im thinking of using copper core plug wires ,has anyone tried this? Is there any advantage to doing this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice Car! Brings back memories of my brothers 39 in the mid 60s. THANKS!
That's what inspired me to build it. I grew up in west Toronto in the 60s and there was a guy with a flat black 39 coupe in my hood. It left a lasting impression On my impressionable 14 yr old mind. Funny how that works. Thanks for the compliment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts