Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen a 61 impala on the Yellow Bullet a guy has, 409, 4 spd, he had just went 9.0's in it. Looks like a street car. That is flying for that heavy car.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Yes it is flying. Impala's going 9 seconds are rare unless they're all out race cars. 409 is cool. I know someone in my area with a 409 SS and he blew up a tranny a while ago trying participate in a test n tune at the firehouse training.
Lots of power hit the drive train and pow. His car is so cool.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I wonder what track would let him run 9's without a cage? I know a guy that has a '64 SS Impala with a W motor (over 500 cubes now) that says if he goes much faster, he'll have to put in a cage. I don't remember if he said 11.50 or 10.00 sec. was the cut off.I watched him try to make a pass this summer and he bent a control arm frame mount on the launch and had to put it right back in the trailer.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I've always wanted a 409 just for the valve covers.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Going fast in a big Impala is a lot more work! A few guys around here are doing it with BBC engines in the 468 and bigger size, but none with a cool W motor!
I missed out on a local CL deal where a guy had made adapter valve covers to retrofit modified Edelbrock 409 covers with a plate to fit BBC heads. The work was over the top, and he wanted $295 for the whole setup. I called right away, but they were sold. I thought they'd really mess with people's minds if I had them on the BBC in my Falcon and tilted the frontend open!

·
Registered
663 Posts
9.0 with a W motor, in a street car? Don't believe it!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
To quote The Beach Boys "nothing can catch her nothing can touch my 409"

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
There's a guy here locally using a 409 in a '62 Chevy that's street legal and turning unbelievable times. But in talking to him the engine isn't actually a stock bore/stroke 409 anymore. It's closer to 460 c.i. but still impressive to do with a street legal big Chevy and a W motor!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts