Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe i should get back to building my Ford Popular again? I have spent the last two years working and driving my slingshot dragster. Very fun to drive, but its a very long car, and hard to handle for a backyard-team with only two people, also storage and trailer is a problem (expensive).
Thinking about using the dragster engine and trans in my Pop - alky injected sbc, could be fun. But first i need to split frame from body and make a decent frame or box/fix the stock frame.
Sun is shining, and im in the right mood :cool:

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Well if the slingshot is hard to drive, imagine what a 90" wheelbase will be? But I can't wait to see you begin building the Pop!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if the slingshot is hard to drive, imagine what a 90" wheelbase will be? But I can't wait to see you begin building the Pop!
Not hard to drive, just a mess to handle 7 metres of dragster around at the races etc.
Actually it goes straight and is very un-dramatic (read boring) :D

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Well the short wheelbase gassers wont bore you! My Austin is 88" and it goes straight too. But if a short wheelbase ever loses traction on a run it can swap ends faster than most can react! I've watched it happen, but fortunately never had it occur!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I say go for it! And make it a "real" manual transmission as well. I love seeing and hearing a clutched manual transmission!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im working to split body and frame now.
Any ideas to make a nice and cheap frame-jig? I dont have access or can afford to those huge H-beams i have seen someone uses.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I have a friend who does some really nice chassis work and uses 10" or 12" wood beams for his chassis jig. It has it's drawbacks when he needs to attach the rails to the beams. Can't just tack weld them as you would with steel. He uses lag bolts and straps to clamp them to the beams, but it seems to work extremely well for him! He's built cars that ran at Bonneville, and did quite well, so it's a good test that his chassis are right.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
If you already have the beams, you'll save a lot of the expense! Just need some cross pieces to tie them together, and some all thread or long bolts for the cross pieces. My friend's has all thread bolts anchored into the concrete floor. The threaded shells in the floor allow the long bolts to be removed if he needs the space between builds. He simply bolts the beams to the floor, and uses a long carpenter's level to level them lengthwise, and across to each other. After that it's ready to begin building the frame on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good ideas there 1946Austin!
But...another car popped up for sale... a pop of course (or at least almost), and i it seems like i have sold my dragster chassis. Will figure out what happens before the weekend ends. Might not need to build a jig anyway :|

I`ll post updates ;)

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Oh snap....more pics and info please...You know you can have more than one gasser................Nice

·
Registered
644 Posts
Works Perfectly!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys! This is a brand new build, not completed -but very close. Started out as a bone stock Prefect some years ago, and has been rebuilt in a racecarshop. Influenced by Jr. Thompsons Prefect i believe.... but a few others also. It doesnt have the classic Anglia/Pop front that many have. Its a one-of fibreglass front - copy of the original. Im not sure yet if i like it...but the Anglia flipfronts should be a direct fit if i want to change it in the future.
It was built with a blown bbc around 1000hp - but engine and trans was sold separate from the car. So im going to install my PG / SBC combo that i used in my slingshot. Wasnt the fastest around, but for a budget racer i think a [email protected]/4mile was ok...and there is more in that engine when i learn to tune the alky/mag setup :D Not going as fast as the dragster, but sure going to be a lot of fun anyway.
It has a very odd steeringwheel position... really wonder how it will be to drive.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts