Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two Lane Blacktop 55 Chevy Hood Scoop

I was curious about the "mail box scoop" on the 55 chevy. First am I correct in calling it that?
Second, would that be considered gasser correct on a hood?
I was thinking about using that style on my MG gasser build for the tunnel ram setup.
It looks easy enough to fabricate and I was even looking to consider plexiglass like the
RoadKill Blasphemi 55 chevy.
I would love to have everyones input on this.
thanks to all my friends in the forum.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thats a Pro Stock scoop affectionately known as the "Grump Lump". Made famous by Bill Jenkins in the early 70s. Maybe not %100 gasser correct but it is early 70s correct and I'm sure more than a few made there way onto a gasser back then. I remember seeing them alot on Modified Production cars and Street Machines back the early mid 70s. VFN fiberglass still makes them. Would look way cool in tinted Plexiglass also!

And I gotta say............If you put that on your MG I would NOT ask "Is it just me" LOL!!

USE IT MARIO!!!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a Pro Stock scoop affectionately known as the "Grump Lump". Made famous by Bill Jenkins in the early 70s. Maybe not %100 gasser correct but it is early 70s correct and I'm sure more than a few made there way onto a gasser back then. I remember seeing them alot on Modified Production cars and Street Machines back the early mid 70s. VFN fiberglass still makes them. Would look way cool in tinted Plexiglass also!

And I gotta say............If you put that on your MG I would NOT ask "Is it just me" LOL!!

USE IT MARIO!!!
LOL thanks Bob. I saw the fiberglass units online. I was thinking of sheet metal and weld it right to the hood. With Plexi I guess I could build a frame skeleton and screw the plexi to it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Or with some gentle heat you could fold the sides over a frame and then it would be an all glass scoop. You can tint it with Duplicolor Metalcast or Krylon X-Metal in the color of your choise. Spray light coats on the inside till you get your desired color. It doesn't work to bad for a low cost method.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
They were pretty late in the gasser game, but seem to be universally accepted. You can cut up acrylic tinted plastic, and using special acrylic cements that actually fuse the plastic together, and not need a framework internally. These fast setting bonding agents will literally glue it together in seconds, because of the chemical reaction. Some excess will possibly run out and dull the surface, but it can be polished up with Novus plastic polish, and look perfect again.
It's much easier to make the Grump Lump type scoop from many pieces and not heat or bend it. Just be sure when attaching it to the hood to use machine screws with washers, to prevent cracking. And nylock nuts to avoid over tightening.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/plastic_adhesives/tap_acrylic_cement/130

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome Vall , very much appreciated.
thanks for the link

·
Registered
752 Posts
And remember, it takes special drill bits to put holes in plexi.

USE IT! It will look great!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And remember, it takes special drill bits to put holes in plexi.

USE IT! It will look great!
Oh man. Thanks Dave , I forgot about that.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Yes, I found out the hard way about drill bits for plastic when I was very young. Got an acrylic hood scoop all built, and then cracked it at the holes when I pushed the bit through! They always crack just as they're coming through the back side. Trying to go very lightly can work, but the right bit is really the best answer. I had to glue my cracked piece back in with the chemical cement, and it always showed the repaired joint to remind me.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone experienced buying clear plexiglass and using tint film on the inside?
Or does it have to be tinted plexiglass?

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can also tint it with paint as described in post #4.

Lexan does not crack as easy as Plexiglass.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Up until the July 1971 release of Two Lane Black Top I don't remember seeing any street cars with the pro stock style sheet metal hood scoop or the sliding plexiglass side windows (both made famous by that seminal 55 Chevy) on the streets of So. Cal. At that time I was doing a lot of street racing in Van Nuys and the whole San Gabriel Valley area and saw a lot of street cars. After the movie though, I wish I'd had access to a shear and break; I'd be rich right now. My humble opinion on the plexiglass scoop, go with the color plastic you want if available. Remember if you tint or paint the inside it's subject to fumes and other contaminates that don't get along well with plastic or paint. Also remember heat is not a friend of plexiglass, it distorts when hot.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I remember seeing those scoops earlier, but only on the drag strip. You could put tint film on the clear plastic, but like any tint job, it will be tough to get it all in place and smooth. Working inside a smaller area, like the scoop, will just add to that difficulty. At my local plastic suppliers, colored acrylic is the same price as clear, so not reason to use a clear. TAP Plastics and Multicraft, both have remnant bins, so I can go in there and often fin a bunch of small pieces cheaper, and I'd guess enough to do a scoop like this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cut and Paste is fine but the more edges you Mold and Form the cleaner it looks in the end. Careful heat and form is not all that complicated.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
If you try cutting it after tinting, the tint will fuzz up along the cut edge. So tinting it prior to assembly would probably work better.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
When I was building the Kadett SW body it had a VERY LARGE "dog house" due to the 2 foot engine setback. I had thought to cut out part of the top & backside of the dog house & replace them with pieces of lightly tinted plexiglass or Lexan so that the engine would be visible from the driver's seat. Thought it would be cool to see the two Holley carbs atop the "cross ram" manifold doing it's thing!!!!

Another idea of the past gone with the project being switched over to using the GT body.

One of the changes few changes that will be done to the Opel GT is heavily tinted windows.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts