Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunter Strobe Light Spin Balancer

I just bought a Hunter spin balancer locally. I used to use one back in the 70's with the tune in hub sliders for weight position and weight amount. I was pretty good at it. But this balancer used the Strobe light and I never used that one before. I don't have a manual and I don't know how the strobe lets you know where to place the weight on the rim. I found this brochure but no Instruction manual yet.
If anyone knows how to use this, or has a manual handy please let me know. I can't wait to try it.
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this too, so I guess the light pin points the location. Guess I won't see it till I try it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
If you are so board that you are buying wheel balancing tools we need to start a "go fund me account" and get you an old Willys to work on.............lol...and I thought I was nuts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come on lash what's better than spin balancing on the car at home. Pep boys gets 25 dollars a wheel. 3 cars and I'm paid for.
I see them lining up outside right now in my driveway. Lol

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Old Willys!! Did someone say old Willys.........

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
When I used one a very, very long time ago! It flashed on the rim as the tire spun, and gave a readout of weight. Then I'd stop the balancer and slowly turn the wheel until the strobe came on and flashed. That indicated where the amount of weight should be added. Pretty fast and easy.
One thing you do have to watch is removing and reinstalling a wheel/tire combo on the car. Since it balances with the wheel mounted, it's balancing the hub, rotor, drum, etc. together. So if you remove the wheel and reinstall it clocked differently, the balance can also be off.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
My little owner run tire shop down the street includes mounting and balancing with his tire sales. Just had two new 295-50-15 tires put on the rear of the old '69 Burb and no extra charges. When I go over for flats he fixes them free. When I bought my Hurst cheater slicks for the Falcon he dismounted the old tires and put the slicks on my wheels for free. Some people tell me they don't go there because his prices are "a little high". I always tell them I appreciate that, as it allows more time for everything they do for me!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Buying new tires usually come with free mount and balance. But as a walk in to a tire shop, for a mount and balance with someone else's tires, there are no gifts around here.
I live in wrong island. Remember. Lol.
Being I have a tire machine and now a balancer I feel free to do swaps at will. The whole package is balancing too. I always felt vulnerable or dependent on shops and they love to charge too much for what they do. So I'm good now. Old school wheels and tires are now swappable at my own convenience. I just want to learn this strobe balancer method. There is nothing like on car balance.
Vall thanks for the input. I never saw your post. Much appreciated. The mg never had the fronts balanced so they will be my first attempt after the trans is in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts