Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Mario,
Did you read the second review where the writer said his blew again in 6 months. Don't make the mistake I made on my 10 bolt by using a ring gear spacer because I couldn't afford a 4 series posi carrier at the time. I ended up shearing all the ring gear bolts in a street race. As a result of that mishap though I did buy a 12 bolt housing, spent the bucks for a 4 series posi carrier, Zoom brand gears and never had another problem with 6 grand clutch dumps.
In MHO spend the money for quality parts.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for that Steve. I agree with you. If my memory serves me correct I have the 4 series carrier. Im gonna have to find a pic of the ring gear to make sure.
Im gonna say this is a one piece gear. Just not sure if its a 4 series carrier or not. That gear looks pretty thick. I wonder if its a deep gear for the lower ratios carrier.

Ahhhhhh the second pic from page 20 of the MG Gasser Thread shows what looks like to be a spacer. Anybody else agree?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
You're right Mario, it's a spacer. You might be able to get away using a spacer though because your MG is way lighter than my 64 Chevelle was.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
The 8.5" carrier will accept all 4 series gears if the present carrier is a 3.08 or lower gear ratio. If it's under 3.08 (like the 2.74, etc.) it needs a spacer. I went from 3.38 to 4.56 in my Camaro's 8.5" when I was racing it and no spacer needed.
But I've got the spacer in my Austin's 10 bolt and been thrashing on it for 7 years now without an issue. It started life as 2.56 gears!

The spider gears for a posi are not the same as a non posi in the 8.5" Chevy. The 8.5" Chevy is an extremely strong rear axle. It's only .3" smaller than the highly touted 12 bolt. The big issue is stock axles. I used Strange 31 spline axles in my 8.5" with outboard bearings, and c clip eliminators. The 8.5 in my '71 was still behind the BBC when I sold it, and never been touched since I swapped back to 3.56 gears in the late 1980's.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Can not tell for sure but it looks like the carrier has one big window and one small that would make it a 8.6 carrier??? 8.5 has 2 large windows (access holes)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Vall,
My 4 speed 64 Chevelle came with a 10 bolt posi with 3:73 gears; when I went with 4:56 gears I had to use a spacer.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can not tell for sure but it looks like the carrier has one big window and one small that would make it a 8.6 carrier??? 8.5 has 2 large windows (access holes)
That’s interesting. Problem is I don’t know the history on this darn thing. Al I know is the guy who sold it to me said it had a vibration and I feel it when I take my foot off the gas or coast. It goes away when I accelerate. I’m not knowing if the gear set is ng or something in the carrier is wrong. It was clean inside when I took it apart. I never felt and heard a noise out of a rear like this before. It sounds like gravel churning in a coffe can. I felt all along the gears didn’t set back into the original pattern anymore so they were noisy but this is ridiculous. It’s down right embarrassing. Sometimes I put my foot on the gas just to quiet the rear when someone drives along side of me. Lol

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
That is strange...when you had it apart did yo ever put the carrier back in with out the ring gear and check the face of the ring gear mount surface for run out?? also was the spider gear pin holes round and not elongated...saw that once when it worked loose...I had a noise muncie once.. yea more than normal, it was really loud and embarrassing...I feel your pain...also I believe that the spider sets for 8.5 and 8.6 are different years 99-01 or 02 something like that

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Vall,
My 4 speed 64 Chevelle came with a 10 bolt posi with 3:73 gears; when I went with 4:56 gears I had to use a spacer.
My guess is the maker of the gears didn't have the correct gears for your car. I had no problem going with bolt in gears when replacing my set. But it could also be your '64 Chevelle, as they were not an 8.5 10 bolt. Those were the smaller 8.0" 10 bolt, and may not be built the same as the 8.5"

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw nothing unusual when I took the carrier out and apart. The gears were worn but I thought the worst that could happen was a gear whine. It all turned smoothly after I set the backlash. When it freewheels in neutral at thirty mph it almost sounds like the carrier is loose and rattling into the pinion. I guess I should sit tight before buying stuff. When I pull it out and disassemble everything I can make another evaluation on the whole thing. I have almost 5 hundred invested in this rear with the superior axles I bought so I can't jump ship yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts