Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Axle width for Falcon

13K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dbshelton 
#1 ·
I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what Speedway straight axle width to buy for my 65 Falcon. The problem is the car is completely disassembled and the body is on a rotisserie in my shop, so there's not much to measure. I've looked up the dimensions of the stock front track width (55") and by measuring the stock lower control arms, spindles, hubs, and mounting bolt centers, I came up with about 56 1/4", but it's all kind of a shot in the dark. I'm guessing that I would want about a 48" or 50" axle width to finish 56 1/2" or 58 1/2" hub to hub?????? Am I on the right "track"?? The stock rear end measures 57 1/4" (flange to flange) for a stock rear tread advertised width of 56". It would seem that ideally, the front should be a touch wider than the rear??

#2 ·
I know that your car is on the rotisserie, but can you attach the fenders to set some tires on milk crates to see how they fit in the wells? Measure wheel back to wheel back and order the closest one. Sounds like you may have answered your own question and you should get the 48" unit.

I did some searching and it looks like the original hub to hub is 54" but everything else shows track width at 55". Not sure why there would be a difference there. Either way it looks like you are going to add and inch and a half or more so you'll have to be careful about wheel offset and width.

Mike

#8 ·
Front axles on a gasser should always be wider than rears due to the wide rear tires we mostly run. If you go stock width up front with skinny tires, then wider tires and wheels out back it looks a bit odd. If you can hang those fenders as suggested, then get a pair of tires the size you're running, you can measure easily. If the tires have the right wheels it will be even easier to get things exactly like you want them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.