Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was sick all weekend long (diabetes meds issue) but I finally crawled out to the garage determined to do something. I got under the car and held my s-10 axle up to see if it is going to work and by God, it will! Now I have to change the yoke over and watched a couple of videos about how to get the u-joints out but these seems determined to stay in there. Any tips or tricks? I did use a torch and burned out the glue they use on the s-10 joints.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Please elaborate Dave? I'm not sure what U joints would be on an S10 axle? And why change the yoke out? There are a number of what are called adapter joints so you can put one on a driveline to adapt from one size yoke to the other. I had one put on my Falcon, and the '39 to go from the Ford flanged yoke to a Chevy Camaro driveline.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so, I bought this driveshaft when we were in Pennsylvania last year. I was told the yoke will not fit a turbo 350 so I bought a new yoke and u-joint for it but I also want to replace the one on the rear as well.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Still unsure why you'd be changing the yoke on the rear axle? Just swap yokes on the driveline and install whatever input yoke you need for the TH350. You may have tried that yoke, but if not I'd be sure to try it first. Is this driveshaft happen to be the correct OAL to fit your engine/trans placement, and the rear axle without shortening it?
I don't mess with U joints myself as the driveshaft company I use does them for free if I buy their joints and take my driveline to them. Last ones cost me $45 for the pair installed. I pay about $22 each so I wont screw with them. Might check a local driveline shop or machine shop and see what they can do them for?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Is there a new way that the factory installs u-joints on cars? I've never heard about "a glue" used. I know many years ago they started using glue on door hinges but I never heard about it's use for u-joints as Dave mentions "burning off the glue" above; "I did use a torch and burned out the glue they use on the s-10 joints." I googled it and couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still must be messed up from the med issue this week. I meant to say changing the yoke on the drive shaft. Jeez.

actually, this video shows it all. FF to %;20 and you can see him heating the joint up and this little worm thing comes out....

(200) Chevy S10 U-Joint Removal in Driveway - YouTube

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still must be messed up from the med issue this week. I meant to say changing the yoke on the drive shaft. Jeez.

actually, this video shows it all. FF to %;20 and you can see him heating the joint up and this little worm thing comes out....

(200) Chevy S10 U-Joint Removal in Driveway - YouTube
My God, 5:20 in the video. Nab, these meds are messing with me. But I should have searched because that video shows it all.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Steve, I guess they load the joint up with liquid nylon
Is there a new way that the factory installs u-joints on cars? I've never heard about "a glue" used. I know many years ago they started using glue on door hinges but I never heard about it's use for u-joints as Dave mentions "burning off the glue" above; "I did use a torch and burned out the glue they use on the s-10 joints." I googled it and couldn't find anything.
and it locks the joint in place. I was calling it glue for lack of a better term.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe I just need to lay down.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Thanks Dave, since I don't own a newer vehicle and have not worked on one with this type u-joint I wasn't aware of the nylon material injection method for retaining u-joints. You really can learn something everyday!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks Dave, since I don't own a newer vehicle and have not worked on one with this type u-joint I wasn't aware of the nylon material injection method for retaining u-joints. You really can learn something everyday!!
This type of U-joint has been around since the '60's.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Well, let's see. My 62 Falcon,didn't have them nor my 63 Nova, 64 Chevelle, 67 Camaro, 69 Ford F100, 70 Dodge Challenger or many of the other vehicles that I replaced u-joints. The latest model vehicle I've done u-joints on was my neighbors 93 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. I'd really be interested in knowing which 60s era and later vehicles had them because as I said I was never aware of them until today. Inquiring minds want to know.....

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
My '71 Camaro didn't have those either, and I bought it in '73 when it was two years old. It had the typical clips on the outside ends of the U joints.
I have seen those, as the '86 Camaro driveline I bought for my '39 project had them. But as I said, I just had Six States rebuild mine, and convert it to fit the 700R4 yoke, and Ford 8.8" flange at the rear. So when it came back it doesn't have those phony glued in U joints anymore.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Full size cars had them. Vall, you should know that. Working for Cadillac.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'll have to ask my neighbor if he bought the truck new and if so did he ever have the u-joint(s) replaced because the one I did, front, had the snap ring retainers.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Sorry, but I worked for Cadillac in the 1960's, and they didn't have them then. And we didn't get any future cars back then.
Cadillac was using this type of u-joint in the '60's.
If I remember correctly, it was to get rid of shake because of shaft length. Now do you remember?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Forgot. This is a pic of a '68. May go back farther. Will have to check my manuals.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Trying to pick a fight there Scott........lol

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Looking at that photo (with a magnifying glass) it shows the bearing cap and then the lock ring for an inside retainer system so it appears to be a conventional u-joint retaining setup. Although even with the magnifying glass I couldn't make out what the last part was because the photo is really blurred.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts