Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone flipped an axle on a 80's Chevy truck B4? I just picked up a 86 C30 dually wheel that I want to lower in the rear. I'm not trying to bag it, just want it lowered to where the rear fenders are maybe an inch below the top of the tires. I have measured the rear springs, it should put me where I need to be if I flip the axle and C notch the frame. Just looking for any advice prior to starting.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Flipped a lot of axles, but never that particular truck axle. Should be an easy job, other than everything being big and heavy to work with! I want to lower my '69 Suburban also, but it's already sitting above the trailing arms, so I need to do springs, or lowering blocks.
Hope you have some big C clamps, as you'll need to clamp the springs well to remove the centering pin, and flip it also to locate the spring perch below. Since you're not changing spring perch width, I wouldn't bother removing the old perch, just get a new one and weld it on the other side once it's mounted and pinion angle set. That way it could always go back if someone wanted to, and it wont be in the way left there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vall, it looks easy enough, but as we all know, there can be little tricks that make things easier sometimes. I figured Id check with you guys first before starting the project. It looks like I will have to C notch the frame as well for clearance.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Is that basically the same as a '99? I have a friend that has a 3500 that is slammed and I could check with him and maybe even post pictures if it would help. He did his 1500 van also. They look great and still haul with the aid of air lift bags.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts