Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the new ethanol additives in gas make the inside of hoses soft and weak, but it seems to me the rubber in hoses is crap too. Last night while taking my sister in law to the airport I started smelling gas in my daily driver Suburban. Figured I'd wait until I got home to check it.
This moring I started up the truck and to my surprise saw a tiny stream of gas shooting right at me! The hose had many little cracks, and one that had split open! These were brand new hoses when I bought the truck about 18 months ago, and now they're pretty hard and brittle.
Seems to me that the material they make hose from is really going downhill!

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it certainly is! I always try to buy good quality, but it seems it's all junk when it comes to certain things.

·
Registered
699 Posts
What I find crazy is when you find a really old car, do some minor maintenance and then you can drive the car with original belts and hoses. I have to change my mustangs hoses out each year due to how fast the get weak. That is fuel and cooling system. The lower radiator hoses seem to take the worst beating.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I find crazy is when you find a really old car, do some minor maintenance and then you can drive the car with original belts and hoses. I have to change my mustangs hoses out each year due to how fast the get weak. That is fuel and cooling system. The lower radiator hoses seem to take the worst beating.
Very good point! I have already replaced some hoses on my Austin at just over 18 months old. Today I was running my OT '71 Camaro for the usual monthly run. I inspected hoses and belts on it that are much older and they still look great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts