Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Lions Automobilia Foundation and Museum was founded in late 2019 by Southern California businessman and car enthusiast, Rick Lorenzen. It’s a 100,000 sq. ft. facility featuring a recreation of the Lions Drag Strip Starting Line, galleries and 120 restored racecars, gassers, hot rods and muscle cars from our car culture and motorsports history.

Saturday April 23, 2022 Lions Automobilia Foundation and Museum will display nearly 50 local gassers, 30 restored Willys and the original, unrestored Stone Woods & Cook "Swindler II". Theres a tribute to the famous Road Kings Car Club with the Snake Don Prudhomme, Jack Beckman, TV Tommy Ivo and others in a discussion of SoCal drag racing, especially at Lions. Come see this special Gasser Gathering and Car Show!

Lions Automobilia Foundation and Museum is much more than a museum! Lions Automobilia Foundation & Museum

Attachments

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Thanks for this post, wasn't aware of the event. Do you know if there will be parking inside the fenced area for guys bringing their gassers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this post, wasn't aware of the event. Do you know if there will be parking inside the fenced area for guys bringing their gassers?
Yes there is parking for Gassers inside the fenced area after unloading. There’s parking for trailers in a fenced lot across the street. Please pre-register they the Lions Automobilia website to make your entry easier. Lions Automobilia Foundation

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes there is parking for Gassers inside the fenced area after unloading. There’s parking for trailers in a fenced lot across the street. Please pre-register they the Lions Automobilia website to make your entry easier. Lions Automobilia Foundation

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Went to the gasser show today. I called the local u-haul yesterday to secure a trailer but I was a dollar short & a day late, they were all already rented out so I went sans car. For a first time gasser show, put on by the museum, it had a good turn out. Got to meet Brendon and see his 55 up close, very nice build. There were several cars I'm familiar with but lots that I hadn't seen before. One display had several photos of the famous "Magic Muffler" fuel altered motor explosion. I've always wondered about that. The old racer who owned it was there so I asked him. Seems before they went to the race they were thrashing on the motor and he discovered a hairline crack between the front cam bearing race and the front crank main bearing saddle below it but decided to run it anyway. They made 2 runs, then upped the nitro mix and that was it. Like he said, at least it let go at the starting line and not further down the strip.
I took a few photos and will post them later.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Went to the gasser show today. I called the local u-haul yesterday to secure a trailer but I was a dollar short & a day late, they were all already rented out so I went sans car. For a first time gasser show, put on by the museum, it had a good turn out. Got to meet Brendon and see his 55 up close, very nice build. There were several cars I'm familiar with but lots that I hadn't seen before. One display had several photos of the famous "Magic Muffler" fuel altered motor explosion. I've always wondered about that. The old racer who owned it was there so I asked him. Seems before they went to the race they were thrashing on the motor and he discovered a hairline crack between the front cam bearing race and the front crank main bearing saddle below it but decided to run it anyway. They made 2 runs, then upped the nitro mix and that was it. Like he said, at least it let go at the starting line and not further down the strip.
I took a few photos and will post them later.
Wow that’s very cool Steve. Glad you got to go. Too bad about the trailer rental. I was hoping you were going to be able to bring one of your gassers. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
So here are the photos. The Thunderbird has an all fiberglass body and rear bumper; very cool. I personally think it would look better without the whitewall slicks and a bit narrower front tires; but hey, that's what's great about this hobby, build the car you like.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Great pics Steve. Thanks for posting. For a second there I thought that was Vall’s Austin.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I found a video of the Lions Gasser Show. The way it started I thought it'd show more of the cars but the dude filming seemed to have fixated on the Camaro; to bad.
One thing that got my attention though was at the very beginning of the video as the two guys were walking in it shows me walking towards them and the one guy asks the other "do you know him" as his camera is pointing at me and he's filming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts