Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Pontiac Astre Safari wagon (71 Vega nose)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding a 71 vega wagon, Speedway straight axle, period parts, sbc 327-331, tunnel ram dual quad, mutha thumper, but with automatic, 10 point roll cage, 9" ladder bars with coil overs for the street but race ready. Will this be accepted in the culture? I know it does not spec for most track events, I just want to represent the culture, and fit in.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
I'm rebuilding a 71 vega wagon, Speedway straight axle, period parts, sbc 327-331, tunnel ram dual quad, mutha thumper, but with automatic, 10 point roll cage, 9" ladder bars with coil overs for the street but race ready. Will this be accepted in the culture? I know it does not spec for most track events, I just want to represent the culture, and fit in.
It would not officially fit into the Gas Class era as that era was gone around the time a '71 Vega was made. More likely it would fit into the A/FX class than the Gas Class.
Some groups or forums are sticklers for authenticity, and period correctness. We wont have any problem with you posting your Vega build here, as most here are happy to see A/FX builds too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would not officially fit into the Gas Class era as that era was gone around the time a '71 Vega was made. More likely it would fit into the A/FX class than the Gas Class.
Some groups or forums are sticklers for authenticity, and period correctness. We wont have any problem with you posting your Vega build here, as most here are happy to see A/FX builds too.
Intended as a sort of tribute for the end of the era, looks great nose up with all the attitude of the past. I always wanted one since the 60's, my neighbor was in a club, he had a 59 ford ranch wagon gasser, a couple others were a 57 Chevy 210, another a 62 Chevy bubble top, all nose high. I've built many cars and trucks since then, but figure I'd close out with a gasser style for my last build. I'm 65 and going it alone, and this Vega wagon came along, so why not. Not much into kit cars, and it's virtually impossible to find good vintage metal here Michigan, I built a 41 Chevy p/u and used body panels from 5 donors to make it sound.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yeeeeeeeeeesssssss, let me get some popcorn and a beer and enjoyed this build. Don't forget we like pictures !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I am with Rik! Let's goooooooo!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Can't wait for you to start your build thread and some photos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't wait for you to start your build thread and some photos.
It's pretty far along already, as I'm getting ready to start giving it some exposure, I'm testing the waters for how she will fit in. I've changed direction several times while deciding on strip or street use, drivability and performance. Same as everyone does. I'm working on posting some pictures soon.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Post it...no snobs here just car lovers...........lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the feedback is greatly appreciated, as soon as it's a roller again, I will post pic's.

·
Registered
605 Posts
All the feedback is greatly appreciated, as soon as it's a roller again, I will post pic's.
Roller crap! Show pix of how it got there!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes Vall gassers were running into the '70's. Most cars were running coil over straight axles and rear ends. The days of the "Street car " were gone by 1965.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Yes Vall gassers were running into the '70's. Most cars were running coil over straight axles and rear ends. The days of the "Street car " were gone by 1965.
By 1972 the Gas classes were at their end. Cars built as Pro Stockers were running A/G or B/G just to compete in multiple classes to win more money. But in 1973 it all came to a halt when NHRA moved anyone left still running in what was a Gas class car into Competition Eliminator, or Street Eliminator classes. Little Eliminator that often bunched numerous Gassers and Altereds previously at the Nationals became extinct also.
In 1968 NHRA rules changed to allow tube frames, and fiberglass bodies, as long as the bodies were exact copies of the street cars, and same wheelbase. Cars like Ohio George's Mustang fastback were such an example. No more full interiors required, and no more working lights. So really 1968 was the end of the class, or at least the type of cars we knew as Gassers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I appreciate the knowledge base and respect the history, was considering my prospect opertunities.I thought they ran longer than that, til mid seventies. But I know much had changed before the end of 60's. Can't rewrite history for sure. I refered to it as a gasser when asked about it, after a brief debate during a local event, I now call it a hotrod.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to call it a gasser, or just a straight axle car. It's all in fun, and if somebody gets there panties in a bind it's their problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear you, obviously I never intended to be a purist. Just checking the room. The car is turning out awesome, for me. Everyone has their own vision, build for yourself, right. I'll throw up some pictures next week.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
I occasionally get a comment at a cruise on both of my gassers about this or that not being period correct. One thing often mentioned is my Subaru master cylinder on my Austin gasser. I used the whole master and pedal assembly as it's cheap and works well. And my '39 Chev coupe uses an 80's Corvette dual master cylinder, and the Brodix valve covers will likely be scrutinized a lot.
I mostly don't care as I've always built in the spirit of the era, and not been anal about my builds being 100% era correct. I really can't afford to do that type of build, although I do admire guys who can and do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Besides the economics and fitment, safety and reliability from some newer technology just makes sense.
The scaffolding has to support the decorations.
Like you, I got some comments. I let it get in my head a little bit. I'm a perfectionist, not a preservationist, but respect to those who are.
All I do know is, it takes a lot of time and money to do your own thing.

·
Administrator
13,328 Posts
Besides the economics and fitment, safety and reliability from some newer technology just makes sense.
The scaffolding has to support the decorations.
Like you, I got some comments. I let it get in my head a little bit. I'm a perfectionist, not a preservationist, but respect to those who are.
All I do know is, it takes a lot of time and money to do your own thing.
Yes, but at least if you are doing it it takes less money than paying someone to do it for us!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts