Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on what to do on a pair of 15x10 cragars that are starting to peel? Chrome is out of the question, to expensive. I could sandblast them and have them powder coated. Friend of mine does a real job on that. What do you think on color, chrome and clear coat?

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Chrome powder coat would be good, but might also consider the old dark center Cragar S/S look. If they can do the centers satin dark gray, and the chrome outer ring; it would look pretty nice. Especially with chrome center cap and lug nuts.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He texted me back and said the clear kinda dulls the chrome. He's got all kinds of colors. I'll see how bad they are tomorrow night and decide then. I had forgot about the old cragars.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Is the chrome peeling on just the hoop part or every where, maybe some could be saved and the rest power coated...or spray painted over... with a chrome.. color two tone effect...hoops to match car and spokes chrome, there is the rubber stuff that the rat rodders use that comes out pretty nice and can be peeled off if you don't like it...

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Cragar still offers the dark center wheels, but now they are black. The old ones were dark gray, and I liked that better. If it's strictly the centers that are peeling, you could sandblast, or sandpaper the centers to remove all the loose crustiness, and then mask them off and use mag wheel paint to spray them. I've done this with Duplicolor or Rustoleum mag wheel paint, and it holds up very well.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't seen them yet, he's going to bring them over. According to him, the outer chrome isn't bad, so I was thinking on the same lines, spray paint. Vall, I'm like you, I'd much rather have the satin gray. I done a search and found a pic of the old ones. If nothing else, I'll use them for slicks. If I get them, I got to get on ebay and find centers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts