Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done have 1 post in suspensions, thought I'd add another. I was planning 4 link and coil overs on my 51 dodge gasser, but after some thought I might change my mind. I want this car to work at the strip, but also to work well on the street. I think ladder bars would look a lot better. I have installed several sets in drag cars. They were 32 inch. I'm going to run coil overs for sure, I'm not sure on length of ladder bars. Ladder bars bind on the street, would a longer bar work good with less binding? My wheelbase is 115. I know they used to run extremely long bars with leaf springs, would say a 42 or 44 bar work good with a coil over set up? I would set it up with a 3 hole adjustment in the front. I found a place that will build them, 44 and longer. I also will use panhard bar, I don't like the diagonal links and they wouldn't work anyway with that long of a bar. Anyone out there using this set up? I'm wanting to order some of this stuff and I don't want to buy twice.

·
Registered
922 Posts
To me, it doesn't matter how long they are. When you add ladder bars, you turn your whole rear end assembly into an anti-sway bar that can't articulate over bumps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As above unless they are triangulated Parallel bars will induce bind, ok for the track though, Mine are 36" but longer looks cool and a bit more period.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not completely concerned with period correct, going to run a auto trans. I want it to look good though, and since they set a little high I was thinking it would be noticeable. I think I'm going with the 4 bar, it'll work good at the track and the ride and handling will be good. I sold my front subframe a while ago. No turning back now!! I know 1 thing, it wasn't going any where, that was a pain cutting back out.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I used short ladder bars on my Austin, and when it gets on fairly uneven ground I can feel one rear wheel unloading. It's not often I get that uneven, but longer bars would handle the flex better. My Falcon has 48" ladder bars, and most Gassers used the longer bars.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Talked to Checker Racing today, they said they can make me 48 inch ladder bars, they have 32's with their kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts