Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a few pictures of the "010" short block I am going to use.

With the unexpected loss of the engine that is in the Opel I need to make some BIG decisions about "what to do".

With the cruise season starting soon & a lack of funds to build the "383 stroker" I had planned to do..... "compromises" are what I will be forced to do.

After cleaning off ALL (lots) of the "heavy grease" that was smeared all over the block to protect it over the years I was quite SURPRISED to find a relatively "new looking" engine.

As you can see from the pictures below the engine is in amazingly good shape..... ALL cylinder walls a smooth as can be with NO "wear ridge" at the top. The same goes for the crank & rods. SURE WISH THIS THING COULD TALK!!!!!

As I mentioned in another thread this engine used to belong to my hot rod friend of many years (Mike) who died a few years ago. It was by "chance/luck" that I ended up with the block. Accidentally found the short block while selling chopper parts to some guys I met thru a Craig's List ad.

With the block, etc looking so good many of my friends want to salvage what we can from the "blown 350" that is in the Opel & do a "quickie" build of Mike's engine.

The engine "turns over" as smooth as can be and there is NO visible sign of wear or damage to the engine block, etc.

With cruising season upon us & not being able to afford a TOTAL rebuild & upgrade to the "383 stroker motor" of my "dreams" any time soon I am being prompted by all my hot rod friends to use this short block [B]"as is"[/B].

There is NOT MUCH that I plan to use from the blown-up 350..... the heads are nothing special so I would like to get a new set of heads and of course camshaft, lifters, etc. Even this idea will be pricey and come at a time when I can least afford to do it.

Decisions, decisions...... I feel very frustrated that I have to make them like this.

Stuff happens!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
I know it's not the stroker you wanted, but even a stock bore 350 or 327 can be a killer motor. I'd do it in a heartbeat if it was mine and not feel I was lacking if built right. Of course the bores and bearing surfaces need to all be checked to ensure they're as good as they look. Then I'd hone the cylinders to make sure a new set of rings will seat properly. I'm sure after all this time the old ones have taken a set and wont seal well.
Then it's just installing a new set of rings, bearings, and whatever cam you prefer. Heads will probably cost you more than the whole engine kit, as without pistons to buy the whole engine rebbuild kit with rings and bearings wont be much over $100. I'd go with a decent set of old 1.94 or 2.02 fueler heads. I see them locally fully refurbished for $400 with hardened seats and SS valves. If the budget allows a pair of aluminum 2.02 heads with 64cc chamber and 180-195cc runners would be great.
You should easily get 375-400 hp without breaking the bank, and have a quick, reliable SBC for many years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have one of those in my car. The 010 short block with 461 camel humps worked over to allow a bumpy cam. It ain't winning any races (cause I don't race it) but sounds good and I didn't break the bank.

Good luck on the rebuild.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Looks like a winner combo to me. I've had to compromise a lot on what I wanted to do, due to time and money(divorces help in that area too). That is why I am running my 351c instead of my 460. I needed to fully rebuild the C6 trans for the 460 and buy a lot more engine parts. The 351c I had laying around and just needed gaskets. The trans was not leaking at all when I had it so I am using it too. I'm too cheap to run aftermarket heads on anything I own, so I look for the good cast iron parts. Chevy has some decent cast iron heads to start with. Get it running for cruising season and enjoy the car!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts