Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all ,
I'll start this off with a lil' story. I have always wanted a 1955 chevy gasser, something about the badass look of them. I stumbled across a 1969 camaro z28 about 12 years ago that had been sitting behind a barn . I stripped it down and started the so called frame off restoration on it up until the point I just kinda hit the brick wall. Everything was real nice that I had done but after that many years and still not being able to drive it I started scouring the Craigslist adds thinking " maybe someone would want to trade for a straight axle 55 " I found an add for one in California and started emailing the guy. After a month of pictures and questions , both from me and to me, we pulled the trigger on the swap. I loaded up the camaro and the family and we started a road trip down to Redding to meet and do the swap. It worked out good for me because I had drive down there anyway to pick up a short block from Mike Lewis, of Lewis Racing engines , I had ordered a Dart SHP pro block 4.125 bore 350 mains , Scat forged crank 3.75" stroke, Callies rods 6", Wiesco pistons 12.5-1 for 18* GM heads " 363 ". Also for the record he does beautiful work and would HIGHLY recommend him.
The trip down to pick up the car and the motor was painless, even though it was the middle of December. I think my truck needed new brakes and a tranny ( only a half ton) after that . Ha
The 55 was everything that I was promised as well as it looked COOL ! It was a project for a project trade and I was thinking of what I wanted to do to it from the moment it hit my trailer . Side note on the Camaro's ride home for the new owner , I guess the car came loose from the new owners trailer while they were driving home , he drove four hours to meet me , and it managed to roll off the trailer and stay right behind the trailer while they were doing 60mph. He slowly hit the brakes and the car nosed into the back of the traler and slowed down. Didn't go shooting off the freeway or anything. Crazy
So I got the car home and sold the motor that was in it , a fresh 454 , since I already have the majority of an 18 degree 406ci in the works. The car had a speedway straight axle kit installed on the factory frame rails , stock rearend , a not so legal 4 pt cage in it, fiberglass frontend that was missing the lower valance and corner pieces , stock rearend , etc.
First thing I did since I didn't care for the factory front end with the straight axle grafted to it , just wasn't happy with the quality , was bust out the sawzall and hack it off at the firewall , aka shakey puddin' and a bunch of other people I saw on the net.
I have since built a whole front end and mounted most of the new parts , shocks, steering , motor mounts , rotors, calipers . I have also gotten the new lower fiberglass pieces for the glass nose and I am currently tying to get that all stuck together. My brother builds boats so I enlisted his help with fixing that. I also ordered a scoop for it to cover the hole where the tunnel ram poked through the hood. A cool low profile one that I am pretty excited about.
I will post up some pics. and please if anyone has any ideas/input I would really appreciate any help.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Nice project, and it looks like you're headed in the right direction! Thanks for starting a build thread for us to share!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Welcome and cool project. Looks like you are hitting all the important points. Put in a beefier rear end, add some fender well headers and the tranny of choice then all that's left is choosing the color.

Both cars are cool so you couldn't miss either way.

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Put it together, don't worry about making it perfect, and beat the piss outta it. Believe me, that's what I did and I love it so much that I ain't even gonna paint mine! There are too many of these cars sitting dormant waiting to get finished. It's lookin good, get it driving! I have found that what I really needed was encouragement and I get alot from the guys here and on facebook from guys like mt94ss. If there is anything I can help you with let me know, I was fortunate enough to get ALOT of help from alot of good guys along the way. And be careful, these things are addicting!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks great...glad to see you building your dream 55 gasser...Did you keep stock wheelbase or stretch it a little??? (I went to 116 1/2 to give a little more room)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome to the site HBM. That double nickel looks like a warrior in the making. You'll find a wealth of good knowledge on this site. I certainly understand the excitement and enthusiasm in gassers as it appears you do as well. Keep us up to speed on your build. We like pictures :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts