Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank goodness it's almost all indoors! Albany, Or. annual all indoor swap meet is tomorrow, and it's supposed to be rainy and cold! I really love this swap meet, and always find something I didn't know I needed. Seems like it's always bitter cold, or cold and rainy. Just makes it that much better!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Looks like its only 8 to 3.... way to far for me to drive...next is in December then nothing till April...its going to be a long winter....to bad I would like to go

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As usual it was a great swap meet! I only had one item on my list; a 15" 3 spoke wheel to replace the 13" on my Falcon. I found one in pretty nice shape for $13. Also picked up a 25' roll of fiberglass flexible sleeve material for heat shielding wires for a whopping $5! And a new book for my library! It's titled, "Diggers, Funnies, Gassers, and Altereds" by photojournalist Bob McClurg. Covers all the cars mentioned, plus some stock and early Pro stock cars, but just the 1950-1970's era. Spent a few hours reading and perusing pictures last night, and found it to be a fantastic book for $20 new!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
We were there too. I wanted the '56 4-door but it was a bit too much for a shell. My bud got a 17/8" A/R with a new tire for $25 as a spare and we picked up a '69 Corvair for the tinted glass for his new project. The weather was good. Did you see the Anglia? He was sure proud of that! Fun road trip though. Glad you found some good stuff.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We were there too. I wanted the '56 4-door but it was a bit too much for a shell. My bud got a 17/8" A/R with a new tire for $25 as a spare and we picked up a '69 Corvair for the tinted glass for his new project. The weather was good. Did you see the Anglia? He was sure proud of that! Fun road trip though. Glad you found some good stuff.
That's The Maker who had the Anglia, and certainly is making a huge profit if he sells it for that $12,500 price! It was on CL in Yakima for months at $4500 with no takers! I'm guessing he finally made the seller an offer and got it for under $4k.
My favorites were the two '33 Willys for sale as projects! Both glass bodies, and the pickup had a very nice custom tube chassis, complete with a $1200 rear axle, and a bunch of spare parts. He wanted $6500 as is, or $8200 with all the extra parts. The Willys coupe was a better body, but a stock style repro frame. He wanted $6,000 and it came with a tube axle, and 50's Olds/Pontiac rear axle. If I had the room here I'd have bought both and done the PU as a strictly drag truck, and the coupe as a street gasser. The '33 Willys has always been my favorite Willys since I was a kid and idolized Ohio George's coupe!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hi Vall,
Sounds like you scored some good deals. I agree, the book you got is a good one; it's one I also have in my collection. I just purchased a new book myself, '1001 Drag Racing Facts'. I'm enjoying the hell out of some of the trivia. One tidbit I never was aware of is that Shelby America produced 6 Cobras designed for drag racing and one of them was equipped with a 427.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Steve, it's a great book, and I'd never seen it previously. I have a couple others that are strictly gasser based, but this is a bit more diverse. I think I read about the "Super Snake" Cobras in Gasser Wars. They were very successful, but I got the impression there was more than one of them competing?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hi Vall,
I'm including a scan of the cover of the book I just purchased. I scanned the page with the info about the Super Snake Cobras but it came out as a pdf and too big for the attachment so I'll put some here:
First off; evidently Bruce Larson campaigned a Super Snake Cobra but it "was not one of the six original, ultra rare, Super Snake drag cars prepared by Shelby. It was a car purchased privately and prepared with Shelby parts. Like the Super Snakes built by Shelby between 1964 and 1967, Larsons was powered by a 289 rated at 380 hp."
"The ultimate Super Snake was the one-of-one 427 powered Cobra produced in 1966. According to the Shelby American Automobile Club Register, CSX3198 was built in gray primer with a black interior and was invoiced to Shelby American on Novermer 18, 1965 and had a custom hard top fabricated and was then sold to Harr Ford on April 7, 1966 for $10,715 who then had it painted a Candy Red."

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruce Larson won the factory stock eliminator class in 1966 Nationals with a Cobra. It ran in A/SP normally, but was lumped into Stock Eliminator for the Nationals.

Here's the story I located on the internet about the aforementioned Dragonsnake 427 Cobra.
http://www.rmsothebys.com/mo04/the-...6-shelby-427-cobra-dragonsnake-race-car/16413

It sold in 2004 for under $500,000 which seems a huge bargain for such a rare variation!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts