Gasser HotRod Forums banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1992 jeep wrangler (YJ)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
With the carbs sideways i can make any adjustment to them without removing them, but the throttle on the rear carb hits the top of the plenum on the intake manifold with them sideways soo add a 1" spacer problem fixed lol. And they look way cooler sideways vs inline.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1992 jeep wrangler (YJ)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Been pretty buisy with work recentlyso not much time for the jeep but spend about a half hour before i leave for work tinkering on it. Got the steering stuff in from speedway, just need to get the correct size 5/8 bolts. Also got the trans in and besides moving the mounts up i can reuse the crossmember i made.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The carbs turned sideways don't allow enough clearance between the lower part of the throttle arms and the intake manifold. So a spacer raises them enough to clear.
Looks like I was typing at the same time as you Jim.
OK, I got that part, but is there an advantage performance wise to use a spacer?

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
OK, I got that part, but is there an advantage performance wise to use a spacer?
It depends on the rest of the setup. If the engine is built to run higher RPM's and it has a short dual plane intake, then a spacer will help the engine reach higher rpm's. But if it's already got a tunnel ram, or hi rise with open plenum then the addition of a spacer may not help, and might even result in losing more low end performance.
I have a 2" spacer under my carb on the '39 to help the Edelbrock Performer RPM get more top end power. It has plenty of low range torque, so adding the spacer just widened the powerband for my engine.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts