Gasser HotRod Forums banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1992 jeep wrangler (YJ)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Damn thats a bad ride! Well ill take your guy's word for it and leave the rear stock width. You think taking a leaf out of the back to lower the rear would look good? And opinions on a rear tire do the 31x10.5r15 or a 275/60r15.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Damn thats a bad ride! Well ill take your guy's word for it and leave the rear stock width. You think taking a leaf out of the back to lower the rear would look good? And opinions on a rear tire do the 31x10.5r15 or a 275/60r15.
Tall and fat is what I'd want. I personally love pie crust slicks, and have them on both my gassers in the rear. Mine are 29.5"x9"x15" My previous Falcon gasser were 30"x10"x15" pie crust.

·
Registered
1992 jeep wrangler (YJ)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ok cool i do like the oldschool pie crusts how are they on highway and just in general on the road? Ive ran drag radials with a spool in a c10 i had in high school drove it everyday rain or shine had street tires for winter but still had the spool lol not the smartest back then..and i plan to drive this about everywhere.. backroads, track, highway. And sounds like what i have is close to you guys just in a street tire.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Ok cool i do like the oldschool pie crusts how are they on highway and just in general on the road? Ive ran drag radials with a spool in a c10 i had in high school drove it everyday rain or shine had street tires for winter but still had the spool lol not the smartest back then..and i plan to drive this about everywhere.. backroads, track, highway. And sounds like what i have is close to you guys just in a street tire.
I've got probably 5,000 miles on them on my Austin gasser, and close to that on my '39 Chev gasser. The '39 has made numerous long highway trips at 70-75 mph and no problem. The only thing I'd warn you about are running in the rain and being careful. I've driven in the rain with my Austin, and kept both gas pedal, and brake pedal action gentle. No panic stops, or hard launches, as I think they might get loose on wet roads. But I've had no trouble by just taking it easy.

·
Registered
1992 jeep wrangler (YJ)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Sounds like a good tire. Who makes them? Yeah ive run mt drag radials with a spool for a few summers and wet roads can be a bit hairy lol i guess thats one benifit to a stick car is you can just push the clutch if it starts to dance that usually helps unless your going to fast.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Sounds like a good tire. Who makes them? Yeah ive run mt drag radials with a spool for a few summers and wet roads can be a bit hairy lol i guess thats one benifit to a stick car is you can just push the clutch if it starts to dance that usually helps unless your going to fast.
They're made by Towel City in Kannaplois, NC. They started back in the 1970's making recaps, and still use the same molds, but stopped offering recaps a couple years ago. Their tires now are all built on brand new casings, but with the same molds they've used for over 50 years.

·
Registered
1992 jeep wrangler (YJ)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yeah there a little pricey, not as bad as the cokers though and i like the smooth sidewalls on the towel citys better. They seem worth it if they hold up well on the street and give you that extra grip at the track or on the street. I will probably run the rear tires i have for a whiel and save up for them. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
1992 jeep wrangler (YJ)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Well came across a bit of a snag with the trans. I have to either buy a 157 tooth flywheel and 10.5" clutch or some type of spacer. The bellhousing that i had on the 4 speed bolts up to the tko and fits the bearing retainer perfect, but its about a 1/2" shorter than the bellhousing i got with the tremec. I know the correct thing to do would be buy the right bellhousing spacer, flywheel, starter and clutch, but part of me thinks maybe this spacer will work although it says it doesnt work with truck bellhousings not sure why maybe ill call them..

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
When it says it wont work with truck bellhousings it usually means the center hole is the wrong diameter. Trucks used a larger center hole, so if it was used with a car transmission it wont support the center, and will break the trans if you got on it, and it torqued enough. Don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
1992 jeep wrangler (YJ)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
When it says it wont work with truck bellhousings it usually means the center hole is the wrong diameter. Trucks used a larger center hole, so if it was used with a car transmission it wont support the center, and will break the trans if you got on it, and it torqued enough. Don't ask how I know.
Haha. Oh im sure that wasnt a good day. If you mean the front bearing retainer on the trans the np435 and tremec are the same. So the hole in the bellhouaing shuld be aswell. It fit on the tremec perfect.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Haha. Oh im sure that wasnt a good day. If you mean the front bearing retainer on the trans the np435 and tremec are the same. So the hole in the bellhouaing shuld be aswell. It fit on the tremec perfect.
Yes, mine was a Chevy truck bellhousing, with a Super T10 and BBC. It broke 3 ears off the trans, and had to have them welded back on. Switched to a Lakewood scattershield with a correct center hole after that, and no more troubles. Actually didn't know it was broken, but my clutch wasn't properly disengaging, and got under it to readjust when I saw the damage!

·
Registered
1992 jeep wrangler (YJ)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Damn thats wild! Good thing you caught that before you had no clutch... and here i thought ford was the only goof that had 10 different variants of everything. I was cursing myself saying i should have just put a chevy in it 😂 but Im going to do the right thing and get the right flywheel clutch and starter for the tremec bellhousing.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts