Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to turn the 80 Elcamino into a gasser look with the straight axle. I see the axle kits in the Speedway catalog. Not very expensive. Do you need to cut the frame at the firewall or install the kit on the existing frame. I know someone has tried a GBody gasser but have not seen any pictures. Our saying in the 70'S was "It will bolt right up". What are the parts that I need to get?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
some like to sub frame them, some like to make there own spring perch brackets and modify the stock frame Iam doing a stock frame build, the problem you run into doing this is axle to cross member clearance, it depends on how high you want the front, if really high not a problem, but Iam going 6 inch's so Iam using a dropped axle from a f100 truck, cutting my frame isnt really practical cause the cut point would be 8 inchs behind the fire wall, and front cab mounts so Iam using the stock frame, the El Camino you should be more than able to sub frame it cause the frame bend isn't under the body like mine, but you will have to set up new engine and radiator core supports but alot of what you need is already pre-made. You may also find that setting up the steering and getting the geometry will be easier, My 2 Cents Now lets see what Vall has to say he is 2 cars ahead of me

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
The subframe stub is mainly done for two reasons; to clean up the frame look, and to save weight. It does present some problems doing a stubbed frame, as you'll need to fabricate mounts for all the sheet metal, plus the radiator. But it's not that hard if you've got the skill and tools to do a straight axle.
The Speedway kits come in both true straight axle, or dropped straight axle. If you're buying a kit from them, it will have 99% of all you need. I'd suggest not getting the Ford style hubs, as they are larger, and not as easy to set up the steering to get the drag link level.
Another choice that will save you money is a donor axle. Since your later El Camino is a wider stance, it opens up options for different donor axles from trucks or vans. I'd be looking at either Chevy or Ford vans from the 60's, as both will be close to the width your truck needs. A complete axle will have all you need, and if you find a Chevy, it will also have 5x4.75" wheel pattern already. Of course they're drum brakes, so if you want discs up front as you have, you'll need to do a conversion. That will add another $125 or so to whatever the donor axle costs.
I find Chevy and Ford van axles for around $50-$125, and I'm picking up another I ran across at the car show on Sunday soon. Around my area the older vans and axles are still fairly available.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Welcome to the site. This just came up on Ebay today, a 79 Malibu with an axle, I imagine the same frame as the El Camino. Some of the photos show some detail. Looks like he used his uncut frame and made some off set mounts for the front spring hangers. It also looks like he retained the stock shock location and upper mount. It seems to be a really nice job of retaining the radiator and fender support and other front end sheet metal.

Check out 1979 Chevrolet Malibu http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Chevrolet-Malibu-/161745647833?roken=cUgayN&soutkn=1G0og3 via @eBay

You got a name other than Sheargifter or do you prefer that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts