Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Great video Steve!
Some might not admit it, but every Chevy guy knows the drawback to a SBC has always been the cylinder head design. The aftermarket head makers have figured out how to get good flow from them, but Chevrolet for whatever reason never did redesign a good head for a SBC. Some head guys made changes when porting them to get more flow, but the castings and design still limited what guys could do to make them flow better.
History shows that Penske figured out how to make the SBC work better, as his team dominated for years with Mark Donahue winning 10 of 12 races in '68, and went on to win many more in Camaros, and also later when Penske switched to Javelins in 70-71.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I'd never seen this before, very cool and informative video
Great video Steve. Thanks for posting it. I’m a little bummed about the ford coming out on top but the method to the madness gave some ideas. I may still use the bow tie heads which flow better than the slightly modified stock castings I was going to use and remove the roller springs it’s using so I can stay with the Crower 540 lift flat tappet cam. In this combo I get flow without using the big roller cam Which may save my pistons. It will have to be test fitted. Thanks for stirring up the brain cells and neurons. Synapses and all that good stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts