Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built this motor for my son for his 68 camaro. I chose the RPM package from Edelbrock because he was young and I thought it would be plenty of power for the street without putting his life in any kind of danger. It was a plan that worked. I built this motor with my hobbyist experience without any real sophisticated equipment. It was a 355 cu in. with eagle forged lower end using H beam rods and JE pistons yielding 10.5-1. I used RPM heads. Hyd Roller cam with 1:5 roller rockers. RPM intake with 1" spacer. A holley 750 double pumper with pro form center section. Mallory unilite for the spark with MSD 6AL.
The first dyno pull had the floor mat stuck under the gas pedal and didn't get full throttle.
Second pass yielded the 374 hp and 360 ftlbs torque. No tuning was done and it was a cold turkey run. No tune no frills dyno price was $125.00. Not bad for a little historical documentation on the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6QByf9k2zI

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I'm a fan of Edelbrock top end kits. I know some serious racers say that piecing together components will get a lot more HP, but that also takes people with more engine knowledge than myself. The fact that they sell a package that's been designed to work well together, and already been engineered together, makes it easy, and comforting to know all the questions have been taken out of the picture for me. And 374 hp to the rear wheels is no slouch either! Lot of people put pieces together and never reach that mark on a street car!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vall. What makes this so rewarding is that my son and I built this motor together as hobbyists. He held it together for 8 years and felt it was time for a dyno sheet. Of course he went when I wasnt around (lol) fearing my disapproval. But I was pleasantly surprised at the numbers being they were at the rear wheels. I know it's no bench mark as the later LS produce much more but for old school what the heck, it works and I'll take it. Now if I could only take the coupe down there. I bet it's around the same because of the lower compression. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cudos to you and your son Mario! Nothing wrong with old school engines. LSs are all the rage (yawn), but you guys worked for your 375 rear wheel pony's and that beats boughten power anyday. And a 68 Camaro deserves either an old school Small Block or Big Block. JMHO. The Edelbrock parts are a good package. Good you used the Holley instead of the Edelbrock carb. That alone most likely gave you an extra 30 horse.

Post a picture of the Camaro if you have some!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cudos to you and your son Mario! Nothing wrong with old school engines. LSs are all the rage (yawn), but you guys worked for your 375 rear wheel pony's and that beats boughten power anyday. And a 68 Camaro deserves either an old school Small Block or Big Block. JMHO. The Edelbrock parts are a good package. Good you used the Holley instead of the Edelbrock carb. That alone most likely gave you an extra 30 horse.

Post a picture of the Camaro if you have some!
Thanks Bob. Go to my albums and you'll see plenty of pics there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts