Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
There are couple of early 60's Mopar gassers around here with real nice straight axle setups under them.

Obviously this isn't one of them.... but the good thing the parts are ALL there to do it right.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I too like the old Plymouth body styles. I remember a guy that was a few years ahead of me in school having a '67 GTX, powder blue with black interior. Can't honestly remember, but I almost believe it was a 426 Hemi. I do remember some of the guys with the 396 Chevelles couldn't do any thing with it. :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I too like the old Plymouth body styles. I remember a guy that was a few years ahead of me in school having a '67 GTX, powder blue with black interior. Can't honestly remember, but I almost believe it was a 426 Hemi. I do remember some of the guys with the 396 Chevelles couldn't do any thing with it. :D :D :D
There were quite a few nasty 426's terrorizing our streets back when..... front torsion bars raised up pushing its front end in the air ..... tow hitch brackets under the front bumper ..... exhaust cut outs under the floor "pointing straight down" & dual quads whistling air in through the scoop on the hood as they rumbled in "Eat n' Park" shaking the ground beneath them.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
My brother in law had a gogeous 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury with a 426 wedge, dual quads, and 4 speed when he was dating my older sister. I had just gotten my learner's permit and he asked me if I wanted to drive it? Not sure why, but I was afraid to take the wheel, so he took me for a spin. Couldn't believe my eyes when he launched about 5500 rpm's and lifted the front wheels on a basically stock car with just a pair of cheater slicks!
Boy was I ever happy when they announced they were getting married! Loved having anothe gearhead in the family, and he was more into cars than anyone elese I was related to!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I've always loved the Mopars "brothers", '61-'70. Plymouth and Dodges. '66 and '67 were my favorites with the ugly duckling '62 as my next favorites. Those '62's were ugly but they make the neatest looking drag race cars. Will be great to see what he does with this Mopar. I can be outstanding. MArk L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I've always loved the Mopars "brothers", '61-'70. Plymouth and Dodges. '66 and '67 were my favorites with the ugly duckling '62 as my next favorites. Those '62's were ugly but they make the neatest looking drag race cars. Will be great to see what he does with this Mopar. I can be outstanding. MArk L
I like the '62 Dodge..... here's a episode of American Muscle Car that tells the whole early Mopar story. Lots of great drag racing scenes & interviews.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWGw2-NLmrw

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That was supposed to say "IT can be outstanding". The only time I'm outstanding is when my wife kicks me outside for too much "crankcase windage". LOL. I keep telling her, if she would quit feeding such good high octane food I wouldn't have to go into the state emmisions facility every year. She says I need a "catatonic converter"---HA!!!, to be compliant.

MArkus O'Gasious

·
Registered
699 Posts
Mark that kills me! lol My wife makes me sleep in the other room for crankcase windage issues, but the reaction is oh so worth it. Early 60's Mopars are great looking drag cars.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
:D
You guys crack me up. Crankcase windage. I'll have to remember that one.

Nice Plymouth BTW. Love that body. I have a '68 in the barn, but it's my brother's VIP - Commando V-8 383, 2bbl!

Mike

·
Registered
395 Posts
Love the mopar! I had a 72 duster with destroked 318 down to 281 cubes that i drag raced. Just for the record, I'll be running a mopar 4 speed in my 64 impala prostreet.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Whats funny is I saw the car on forbbodiesonly.com. Someone was saying another person should buy it but you already have it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Casey, if you get a minute can you describe or write a seperate thread (so we don't jighhack this thread) on what you did to convert the Mopar trans to the GM engine? Bell housing modes, clutch used, mods to the Mopar input shaft if done that way etc? I would really be interested to know what you do to match it all up. I'd love to run a wide ratio Mopar 833 box in my Gasser. What's the first gear ratio in them? I'm guessing around 2.66 or there abouts?? Thanks Casey for your insight.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mark i will make a thread on the trans adaption today after work. Glad to share the info.
Casey, if you get a minute can you describe or write a seperate thread (so we don't jighhack this thread) on what you did to convert the Mopar trans to the GM engine? Bell housing modes, clutch used, mods to the Mopar input shaft if done that way etc? I would really be interested to know what you do to match it all up. I'd love to run a wide ratio Mopar 833 box in my Gasser. What's the first gear ratio in them? I'm guessing around 2.66 or there abouts?? Thanks Casey for your insight.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Thanks Casey. I'm always interested in what others have done to mix and match parts from different manufacturers. Some times, with the right parts, it can be fairly simple and very reliable. But it really counts when someone has done all the leg work and is willing to share. Mark L

1 - 20 of 20 Posts