Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Great suggestion by Mario. Created a punch list, which identifies actions to complete building a car. The body is steel. Took measurements of the car to build a tube chassis and utilized SFI specifications to build the chassis. Extended the wheel base to 115 inches, which is the max length for this class of car. Used a 9 inch large journal jig to fabricate a rear housing. Build 4 link with a wishbone for the rear suspension. Fabricated 70 inch wheelie bars. Front end is tube A arms. Installed 4 way disc brakes. In the process of installing stainless steel brake lines. Just completed fabricating the brake pedal assembly with master cylinder and fabricated the gas pedal so that both of them can accommodate my short legs, but also be adjusted so that it can support other much taller drivers. Here are several pics of work completed to date. Will post other pics as progress is made. Love working on the old iron.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Awesome Vaughn. Glad you did it. That Nova is a beast. Now let the sparks fly. You are the wildman of this forum. :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mario and Vall, I am finding out that certain items on the punch list must be done before I take on the other action items. Biggest problem I have had to date is not doing the same thing twice. I get something done and then figure out a better way to do the same thing. Been trying to learn as much as I can before taking on each action item. Trying to get a lot done before the snow kicks in. Trying to follow the NHRA rules and SFI specs, but sometimes, it helps to see what other people have done. Right now I am looking at options to move the fuel cell to the front of the car. My brother in law is encouraging me to eliminate the radiator, especially since a radiator leak could be a safety hazard on a quick run. Going to think about it for a while. Still have several other action items to address before that decision is made. Right now I am working on routing the stainless steel brake lines...then welding the anti-roll bar mounts...and welding the mounts for the battery cable with the battery in the trunk. Will scale the car to determine if the fuel cell goes up front or not. Always something to think about on the car build. Just glad the brake pedal and gas pedal assembly is done. Tonight my wife and I took the old coupe out to get some parts for the Nova. What a hoot. Love working on the old iron.

·
Administrator
13,535 Posts
I love punch lists, but mine certainly aren't in any particular order! Just a way for me to remind myself what needs to be done, rather than the order I'll do it. In fact I sometimes get stuck on one item, and move off to something else to give me time to ponder a solution. If a plan comes to mind, I'll jump back and finish the item later.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Vaughn, just saw your thread today. This is waaaay beeeechun'............................ Damn....that is killer! It won't be my last I will be Watching!!! having funnnnnnnnnnnn

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Val, I am at the point where every action item on my punch list needs to be accomplished in a certain order. There are dependencies between the different actions. today I just ordered some parts. This weekend I will be pulling the rear out so that I can weld the anti-roll bar mounts to the chassis with some room to weld. It will also make it easy to weld up several mounts and make back braces for the wheelie bar mounts. Much easier to weld the rear on the bench instead on laying under the car.
Rik, thanks for the feedback. I had to put the car in storage for over a year, but now making progress daily...so hopefully it will be ready to dial in at the track next spring. Amazing at how much time it takes to do all of the detailed work, such placing mounts to hang the steering wheel when I climb in and out of the car. Love working on the old iron and having a blast driving the old coupe to get parts for the Nova.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I did not have much time to work on the car, so I created dollies for the chassis to ride on after I took out the rear. Used an engine hoist to hold the chassis up in the air after I took out the four link and the wishbone. Was done in less than 2 hours. Now I need to clean up and get the parts ready to weld. Will weld under the chassis another day. Today they have old war birds at the local air show. Love working on the old iron.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went ahead and made templates for the trans cover and drive shaft tunnel. Waiting on tubing to complete the front drive shaft loop. It needs to be 6 inches from the front u joint and right now the mount puts it 8 inches. Fortunately no welding has been made until all measurements are checked, double checked and checked again. Might be a slow process, but prevents me from doing the same thing twice. After watching the NFL players kneel, I decided to not watch any more football games, which gives me a lot more time to work on the car. Hopefully the parts will arrive tomorrow so that I can fit everything up before placing the rear back on the car. Love working on the old iron.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,535 Posts
I also try to only tack weld parts I can better weld outside the car. It helps my poor welding skills be a bit better!
Your idea to ignore sports games where players don't respect the national anthem is getting a lot of similar reaction around the USA! I am doing the same, and know a lot of others who likewise wont support these overpaid jackasses who enjoy the freedoms they have, but don't respect how they got them! End of rant.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Thank you Vaughn and Vall. I had wanted to post something on this subject but I wasn't sure because this is a car forum, not a political forum. I wish the middle class working American would wake up and boycott all these worthless, over paid, primadonna, pieces of shit who are basically giving the finger to the people who pay them. Such a big deal was made about how brave Kaepernick was when he staged his "protest". He's nothing but a pussy and self indulgent blight on the country. A courageous player, how about Alejandro Villanueva; a former Major in the Army Rangers who served 3 tours in Afghanistan and then started his NFL career; he has more courage and class than the whole NFL. Here's a great piece on him from last week. http://myconnection.cox.com/article/nationalnews/a2523efa-a179-11e7-bd21-019bc19b724d/. My brother and I went to a veterans fund raiser this past Friday where the room was filled with men of real courage. Here's a photo of the honor guard for the event. Footwear Trousers Military uniform Military person Peaked cap To a man, we all would do it again. I say FUCK YOU Kaepernick and all your brothers, and that's my rant.
On to cars. Vaughn; I'm enjoying the hell out of your posts and progress. Would it be possible to bottle some of your energy and send it to me.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Vall and Steve, I will vector away from saying how I really feel about what they did in this forum. Instead, I will focus on learning from people like you guys and enjoy all of the time I previously spent watching football to now be in the garage (instead of watching football) and spend that time working on the old cars. Tonight I drilled and tapped a bunch of mounts that will be used to hold the drive shaft tunnel to the chassis. Using the same type of mounts to support the battery cable that runs the length of the car from the trunk to the engine compartment. Taking my time making the drive shaft tunnel and trans cover templates so that when I cut out the metal everything will fit without wasting metal. I already fabricated the floor panels and rear wheel well tubs out of aluminum and welded up dzeus clip mounts and dimpled the aluminum to ensure the dzeus fittings are flush from underneath the car. All of that was done with aluminum sheet metal. The omly floor panel that is steel is where I sit in the driver compartment. Making all other floor panels out of aluminum makes it very easy to remove them and have plenty of room to work on the car. This weekend I was able to remove the rear end in less than 1.5 hours. I am waiting on some parts that are suppose to arrive today and hopefully this week the rear will be back in the car. Love working on the old iron and I really enjoy reading about what other people are doing on their rides. What a great forum. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
13,535 Posts
A courageous player, how about Alejandro Villanueva; a former Major in the Army Rangers who served 3 tours in Afghanistan and then started his NFL career; he has more courage and class than the whole NFL. Here's a great piece on him from last week.
Don't want to clutter up Vaughn's build, but have to just add this about Al Villanueva. I was happy to see what he did, until I saw his post game apology. It's sad that a guy felt he needed to be there for the National Anthem, but then felt he needed to apologize for doing so without his teammates! Nobody should ever have to apologize for doing what's right.
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/steele...-embarrassing-solo-national/story?id=50095642

Now back to the build!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Was able to create the trans cover tonight. Still need to weld mount tabs and create the connection to the drive shaft tunnel. Going to install the front drive shaft loop first and then weld up a removable shifter mount to the top of the front drive shaft loop. Earlier today installed a half loop to hold the steering wheel so that it is easier to climb in and out of the car and still have easy access to the steering wheel when I get back in the seat. Tomorrow I will make templates for the false floor where my right foot sits. The false floor will make it very easy to push the gas pedal and it will provide a mount point for the lower part of the trans cover. Making progress on the punch list one action item at a time. Here is a pic with template and the other pic is a picture of the trans cover (not yet done). Still need to weld the mount points and front cover to connect the drive shaft tunnel cover. Love working on the old iron.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fabricated drive shaft tunnel out of aluminum. First fitting to see where it needs to be trimmed. Will cut hole for the tube that extends from the front drive shaft loop so that I can mount the shifter at an angle that is easy to use while sitting in the car. Shifter mount will be removable so that everything can be taken apart rather quickly. Did not have much time to work on the car today. My wife and I drove up to the mountains to take pics of the tree leaves changing colors. Here are several pics. Love working on the old iron.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looked all over the garage for my dzues dimple tool, but could not find it. Will need to wait until the tool arrives to finish up welding all mounting points. Fabricating the front face plate for the trans cover. Love working on the old iron.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You don't have to get rid of the radiator. Fast cars run radiators our Mountain Motor Prostock car had a radiator it ran 4.06 best time in the eight mile.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts