Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car from a friend back around 2008. He got the car from some people who were just going to scrap the car but stopped by his place to see if he wanted it. It was about a 99% rust free car so there was no way he was going to let that happen. He did a detailed build process on ford muscle which ended with the car running mid 11's with a circle track 351w/ glide combo 5500 stall and 4.56 gears. The whole point of the car was to use parts he had around and go as fast as possible. He named it the "Lo Buck Falcon".

I liked the car so much that when he said he was going to sell the car, I bought it. The car already has a 9", inboard springs, sub frame connectors, drive shaft safety loops. The suspension in the front has been improved with GM metric caliper front discs and rod end strut rods and roller spring perches. The interior has a full roll cage, racing seat, a home made lockout for Neutral, and of course a moon pedal. The trunk has a fuel cell and the battery. The passenger reverse light is now where the on/off switch is located.

I had planned to put a 460 I bought from a friend, but decided to put my 351C 2V into the car because I have almost all of the parts to get the car running. I want to be able to drive the car on the street. It might be slow, but I have a few plans to fix that. I have closed chamber 4V heads and an intake sitting around to put install. I will also put a new cam in to take advantage of the better flow. I might just look into a rebuild at that point just to start with a fresh slate.

Here are a few more pictures.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got busy painting the engine. I stripped the paint and rust off with a wire wheel. I am pretty happy with the results. I went with the lighter Ford blue. I am also putting in a non-smog timing set and replaced most of the gaskets. I will be putting a new filter into the FMX trans I am using. I got it for free so I thought why not just use it? I will most likely have the install done by next weekend.

The roll cage needs painted. I will be getting some original colored paint for that. It got rusty from sitting.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
As I said in the other post, a big happy welcome to you here. Glad you could join. Love those late falcons. Lots of Ford guys here and a few Falcons as well. Boy, if we could get everyone together in the same place at the same time, we could really have a great show and drag day. Would love seeing all the cars in person. Can I infer from your name that you own a '69 Mach 1??? '69's are my favorite early Mustang style. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Looks like you've really got a good start already with what's been done, so it shouldn't take a ton of money or work to take it to the next level.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I just looked at an original low priced 302 automatic 1971 Maverick. It's a repaint and not great but totally rust free and plain jane interior. All white. Did not see the mileage. 3500 dollars asking price. Probably get it for $3000 if you were serious. Too bad I'm money strapped. Would love to make a Pro Stock look alike like Fast Eddie Schartmans or Dyno Dons Mavericks. Mark L

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I have a 69 Mach 1. I bought it 10 years ago. It needs restored but is a good 20/20 driver. The 351w died in 2004 and I installed a junkyard 302 to tool around in. I put the Windsor heads on it which raised compression from 8.5 to 9:1, xe268h comp cam( too much cam), weiand intake, headers and Holley 600. I think it had about 250hp from my trap speeds. The Windsor was only making about 220. It was trashed from the previous owner.

The falcon should be driving in about two weeks. I will need a few parts to make it street legal. I will also need to design a removable exhaust system. If the weather stays decent I should have everything ready for all of the classic car events around my area. There are a lot of them!

That mav sounds like a good deal. The 460 I have was purchased from a friend who had a 302 powered mav. He misses the car.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sold my 03 Cobra this week so that will allow me to focus on my classics.

I finally got all of the Cleveland engine parts and I will be buttoning up the engine soon. The weather is pretty dang cold so that might not happen for a while. I still need to paint my engine block one more time and it is just too cold to do it. I am going to rebuild the 2v carb this weekend as I can do that in the warmth of my basement. I need to go get to door panels and take them out to recover them.

I found a guy selling a 8v71 blower that needs converted to gas, but I am thinking of buying it. I will need to fabricate an intake for it and I have seen a tunnel ram base used to do that. I have read a few stories from other people who have done just that with great results.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Haven't seen a tunnel ram used for a base before, but I've seen dual quad, and single quad intakes milled to accept a blower plate to mount the blower.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might look for a dual quad also. I've seen a few pictures of that. We will see what I can come up with that works. I can't see spending 1200 bucks on a blower manifold. I will not be able to put the blower on until I rebuild the engine. I need to double key the crank. I also want to build the 4V heads to take real advantage of the blower, or is that the other way around?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today was a lazy day. I disassembled the 2v carb. I will get carb cleaner tomorrow and dip all of the parts and let them soak for a while. I will also get the rebuild kits for my other two holley carbs and rebuild them while I am at it. One will go on my 460 eventually and the other will be for when my 4v intake shows up from my parents house. I will be using that intake and carb setup for a while.

I have finally figured out how to solve my bumper issue. Fiberglass bumpers. They are about 129ea for the front and back. I found a few companies that make them. I can spray bomb the thing chrome. I see they have new ways to chrome non metal or even metal from Jay Leno's site. Unfortunately the guy who demonstrates the process has a crappy website and people are complaining that he does not respond to emails.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
I think fiberglass bumpers would look even better spray painted in a silver or chrome color. If they were somehow chromed they would look stock, and then nobody would notice they were glass. Part of the cool factor is letting people know you've got glass bumpers!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This came in the mail today.

I put it away so it isn't a distraction. I need to do a lot of other work before I can add the blower to my car. The last few bolts have arrived so when it warms up above freezing I will be installing the engine into the car.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Looks like the blower off an old Detroit diesel. Not particularly easy to adapt to gas engines. I've got one sitting here in a box that I never got around to doing anything with. Need a spare cheap? :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha! This one might do the same. It's an 8V71 blower. True, they are not easy to adapt, but I have a few ideas. The top part has screw holes to attach a cover plate. If I can build or have a plate built I can run two carbs on top with minimal issues. Now the bottom is a different story. There are no bolt holes underneath. There are holes that long bolts could be passed through the ends of the supercharger. A bottom plate might work to bolt on there. I've done some searches and found pictures of a guy who mounted this same blower to a BMW V-12 and dropped it in a Willys. I also saw an Anglia with a SBC and it's pretty awesome. I am still thinking a tunnel ram base with a plate and two air holes over those areas to blow into each section. I have many examples to study before I get mine built and ready to go.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally had warm enough weather to button up the engine and drop it into the car. I ran into some issues with getting it onto the mounts so I will have to play with that a little bit. I will just need to unbolt the mounts and move the engine as close as possible and then bolt them back up. It's a pain to be this close to having the engine in and run into that issue. Next up is getting the transmission ready to install and then mounted on the crossmember. I hope I have no issues there. I am not sure how different the glide was compared to this FMX.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, I have never had so much trouble installing an engine into a car. Even the 460 dropped into this car much easier than this 351c. I have the V8 frame mounts and 289 motor mounts. The mounts should work with the 289,302, 351w and 351c. They are all the same size block width and mounting points. I am at a loss. It's about a half inch too narrow on each side. I've tried a bunch of different things. Loosened all bolts to give max flexibility, that didn't work. Had the motor mounts on the engine and lowered onto the frame mounts. The holes don't line up to put the bolts through. Then tried to drop it in with all of the frame mounts tight and the motor mounts already on the frame mounts. That didn't work either. The frame mounts are the same as what my friend used with his 351w. What a PITA. If it dropped in like it should have I would have had the trans installed today also. Instead I spent two hours cussing and cursing with nothing to show for it.

Passenger Side

Driver's side

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Gale Stockton the BDS rep for the West Coast gave me a lot of info on the 8V blowers. He said the top is not an issue, as they can have an adaptor machined easily to accept carbs. The angled bbolts for the blower mounting is the real issue. Finding or building a base and then getting the holes drilled and tapped correctly at the correct angle is the issue. He said it's pretty hard to do, and he wont do them. He buys the 8V blowers to rob internal parts from to rebuild regular pattern blowers, but doesn't convert them.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, the blower is going to take some work to use. I've seen what people do to get it mounted and it will be a challenge.

I am thinking on the frame mounts to move them up on the frame and drill 4 new holes. I think I have enough material to do this. Then the engine should drop right in then as I will have the half inch on each side. Even at the point it is at now, the trans should bolt up with no problems. I might get my 351w bare block and use it for a mock up and put the 351C on the ground for now. Then I can figure out exactly where everything needs to go without having 500lbs on cast iron hanging around.

Unfortunately this week will be way too busy and next weekend I will be installing new flooring into the bathroom. If I finish the floor on Saturday I can work on the car next Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I had my 9 inch center section all assembled last Friday. While talking to the set up guy I noticed a white car peaking around a '69 El Camino body back in his yard. When I went to look it is a '70 Falcon, sedan but with the extra chrome around the window trim and fancier (although beat up) interior. I asked about it and he offered it to me for a VERY REASONABLE AMOUNT. I even have a set of heads he may trade for it. No engine/trans and the rear window bottom has rust thru along the edge because of the vinyl top. But the rest is rust free ans solid as a rock. I want so bad to drag it home bu tanyting I did to it would take away form my '63 Cat and I can barely afford that. Man, I would love to have that Falcon. Always loved the body style. Damn reccession!!!! Mark L

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You dont see the 70 falcon very often. Its pretty much the same as the 66-69. The 70 1/2 is the Torino body car. I hear you on money for projects. Thats why my vehicles are still in Texas! I really need to get one of my cars finished.

1 - 20 of 330 Posts