Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any members on GasserHotrod.com have any information on lifting their Chevelles with coil springs? I am looking to raise the front around " 2 1/2 " "3" inches or so. I am looking for that old school 60's look.:) Back in the day I remember the guys using Chevy Caprice station wagon Big block with A/C front coils ; I can't locate the springs or vendor to use currently with all the searches that I tried. I am sure someone on this site has already did what I am attempting . Any help or leads will be appreciated .:cool::cool::cool::cool: THANKS TIM

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tim, instead of buying new springs you could look into a jeep or early bronco lift spring spacer. These are fairly inexpensive and if you don't like the look or the ride take them out and sell them to someone. I am not sure about the shock I think it is inside of the spring, you will have to find a longer shock. I hope this info might help.
Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flyn A; Thank you for the response . This area I will definitely look into . I didn't realize they made these spacers for the early Broncos or Jeeps . I know they make them for cars , which I have seen , If they are the same , they would be a possibility .

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
The spacers will get you about an inch, but not the 2.5" you're going for. You'll need taller coils, plus ball joint spacers to get where you want to be. The good news is Chevy used the same coil diameters for many models, so you can simply order coils for something larger, and heavier. Most use full size Caprice or Impala station wagon springs, and if it's a BBC car, they're even higher rating on the springs. I'd go for Impala wagon springs with a BBC engine.
The biggest issue will be getting those springs installed, as the longer/heavier springs will really test your spring compressor tools! Ball joint spacers are usually available on Ebay through various sellers, and are also pretty generic for the 3 bolt upper mounting point. Without the spacer, the springs wont get you but around 1.5" alone.
These will get you to 2.5"-3" when used with taller springs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ball-Joint-...ts=Make:Chevrolet&hash=item3388da2ac7&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Vall & Gary; Thank you for the response. I am familiar with Rogers Speed shop. They are the EBay store selling the ball joint spacers. I may try and contact them by phone , their shop was located about 20 miles from me back in the 60"s. This shop did the machining on my big block heads back in the day when I owned my 427 powered Biscayne. I will also inquire with Moog about the spring application . I need the application cross reference to order the springs. Again Thank you very much for the info," keep the shiny side up". And I wish all a very merry Christmas. . TIM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts