Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been looking for a gasser project for a while. had a 65 comet a couple yrs ago but the underside was gone. looking on craigslist a couple months ago and found this 65 rambler wagon. it's 100% original flathead 6 automatic with 36,000 miles. went looked it over bought it without hesitation. The body is very solid only one rust hole in the right rear. how ever the cowl was pretty rotted from years of dirt and pine needles . been working on it a couple months now. here's some pic's from day 1 till now

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Old n dusty, I am liking the Rambler project, keep the info coming!

56 VIC - Tom

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Great base for a Gasser. I would look into getting some two door doors and making a sedan delivery. A lot of work but it would really be unique. But I love the wagon. Man I love build threads. Mark L

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great base for a Gasser. I would look into getting some two door doors and making a sedan delivery. A lot of work but it would really be unique. But I love the wagon. Man I love build threads. Mark L
well i do have doors from a 2 door and gave it alot of thought and my son thinks it would be a great idea but he's not doin the work

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
I think it's such a straight, clean body, that I'd leave it alone other than what's needed to make it a gasser. Looks like it wont even need paint if you didn't want to yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes! Oh Yes! PLEASE keep posting pics. this thread is the reason that attracted me to this forum, (but reading the rest is giving me some valuable info). I have a 1964 American 220, 2dr post that I've been planning some of these same mods. I'll be following this very closely. ??What are your plans for the steering box? I'll be grateful for any and all info I can get!!!! Also, in the 1st post, what size wheels and tires you got on the rear and do they clear the wheelwells?
Thanks

Perk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the rear wheels are 15x12 with N 50's. it took a little work to get them to clear. first i made shackles then put on air shocks still neede a little more so i cut the lower shock mounts off of the plate and welded them back on pointing up. as for the steering box i'm using the original right now still gotta get the engine here and make sure it clears. i may have to move it outside the frame rail. have'nt posted anything latley been busy tryin to make a buck

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great build... I like this site more and more everyday

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this pic was taken about a week after i got the car. the wheel on the front i plucked off my sons mustang just to see how it looked. not going with that style to new. i like the original wheels that it came with. they are 15x4 looked into getting them chromed but thats about $300 a wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any recent updates? Got some pics somewhere of a 64-65 american w a straight axle. Will find and post if possible. not mine but shows what this guy did with his.

Perk (still watchin this thread)

·
Registered
30 Posts
yep - a 69. pretty clean, some rear 1/4 dents that have been filled with Bondo then red oxide primered. other than that, it is in really good shape.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey guys just to let ya know i'm still on this side of the dirt. have'nt posted latley been busy with work and some little health problems. as far as my car i'm in hurry up wait mode. i did make some nice alum. inner fenders and replaced my rotted driver floor pan but not much else. took the front doors to a body guy back in jan. so still waitin on him. found a pair of frt. fenders mint condition 2 months ago still waitin on the guy to call to come get them. the guy i'm getting the eng./trans from said he pulled the car out so i can get that but evry time i call him he has other plans

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well finally picked up my engine. tried to set it in and that's when the fun started. tried to put it in with the manifolds on just so i could see how much room i had with the steering column , none . got the manifolds off sat it back down to have the center sump on the pan not clear the cross member. so i took off the pan sat it in place, got the trans mount hooked up i used a mount for a 71 duster fit great on the rambler cross member. now i need a rear sump oil pan. went to a couple junk yards saturday no luck. jegs and summit offer a package pan,pickup and dipstick. its a mopar performance part. so i called a buddy at a chrysler dealer he's the parts manager. he said it is discontinued and theres only one in the country ,so i called the dealer in fla. he says he shows it in stock but can't find it. jegs said they will be omitting it from there catolog, summit has a ships date of 6/25 they told me to call on the 27 just to check been on back order since march so if all else fails i'll get a milodon for $185 plus $75 for the pick up oh the kit from summit is $99.
here are a couple pics of what little bit i have got done

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
The crossmember on my '66 American was just bolted in. Do you think you really need it since you went straight axle?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts