Gasser HotRod Forums banner

65 Nova Project

5K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  mt94ss 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!
working on my first gasser build. Found this 65 Nova out in Bakersfield and couldn’t be happier. Thing has a solid pan, no engine/trans, 10 bolt 8.2 with 3.08 gears. I swapped the 10 bolt into my 63 and am going to build a custom 8.8 Ford and eventually a 327 up front. Gotta find a few parts like hood hinges, lights all the way around, seats and some missing window trim pieces. I love the Patina look so not gonna touch the outside, just rubbed it up with some linseed oil and looks fantastic. Rear wheel wells are gonna be cut to fit 15x8 rims and tires in the back so the damage that is shown will eventually be hacked out. I have a great partner who is guiding and collaborating on this build together. Learning a ton and how freaking cool will this be when it’s done! Still parts gathering right now and need to decide which straight axle setup gonna run up front. But super excited and glad to be out of this forum. Tons of helpful info on here!!! Cheers fellas! 🍻

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum!
I doubt there's many cars as well supported by the aftermarket industry as a 1st gen Nova is! Especially as it pertains to bolt on gasser style front subframes! There are plenty to choose from, but also not hard to build up your own subframe and install springs and axle on it. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

#4 ·
So I’ve seen!!! Trying to decide in a straight axle setup now. Looks like speedway is best bang for your buck. Not sure if it’s top notch engineering but planning on welding extra bracing and tie it into the roll cage. I’m finding that most gasser aftermarket parts are pretty reasonable compared to stock original crap. Makes you question the quality when you see the pricing but in these little novas there’s not much too then.

#8 ·
cool project! +1 for building your own front end. I did it for my car, and spent way less than $1900. I found my front axle / springs online for may $150, the square tubing from a local metal supplier, the steering box from a junkyard. the only things I used from speedway were the threaded rods, steering arms and heim joints. all in was well under a grand. Plus, I have the satisfaction of doing it myself and setting it up exactly how and where I wanted it.

#10 ·
The more I research people setups the more I want to fabricate my own. My partner in all this has built quite a few in his day and new had some write ups in motor trend and hotrod so a little nudging and I think we may go in our own direction instead of prefab. Best way to learn right!!!! 🍻

#11 ·
As gassers go the Novas are probably one of the easiest to build a subframe or stub vs. anything else. No oddball steps in the frame required. Just two straight rectangle tubes with a plate that bolts it to the firewall, and a cross tube up front to hold it parallel. The firewall braces can be built separately to bolt to the upper firewall, and frame rails, making it easier to assemble, or remove if needed. Some 2"x3" box tubing with 3/16" wall, and the 1.5" tube for the down braces. Plus some plates and angle to make up the mounting.

#12 ·
What do you recommend for the axle itself? Instead of hunting or manufacturing I was thinking that may be the one piece I may buy premanufactured. Thinking axle, spindles and disc brake kit. Got a 8.8 rear off a 94 explorer at the junk yard that has a disc set up too. So looks like I’m disc all the way around which I didn’t expect.
But yes these lil novas are great beginner projects into the gasser world. Not too much to them. Got my eye in a tri5 that may be a different story. But first I gotta make a few passes in this thing and gain some experience. Having a lot of fun working in this thing! Prob would be farther along but working on a stock 63 II SS and had a few prob this past week with my 66 elco. More cars more problems.

#15 ·
Congrats on the score of the 65 Nova Coupe. Taking it to gasser mode is exciting as they make a great looking car with altitude and attitude. I too share the passion for these cars and have a 65 ready for the subframe exchange. I opted for a Bill Thomas design from Nickey Chevy . Quite expensive and along with chroming the tube and springs I'm in deep...lol. Today on a trek to Maple Groove Drags for the Chevy event (formely Super Chevy ) I found a set of 65 Nova SS bucket seats. My car is a true SS and the interior is already done so the set of seats today are extras and will be set aside possibly for a future tri five . Looking forward to your progress on the lil Nova .

#18 ·
Update!!!
Looks like plans have changed!!! We are full throttle on the 65’ deuce with a deadline of 37 days to unveil Suicide(name of car) for the Gasser7 event in El Segundo, CA next month. Just finished scraping and painting the underside pan, tomorrow will install the rear end, mark and cut out wheel wells, figure out offset for rims. Gotta start cleaning up the interior pan and once the rear is done we’ll chop the front and start building the front clip. Ended up going with the speedway ford axle/spindle/disc brake kit and gonna manufacture the rest ourselves. Exciting times and love working under pressure. I’m pretty motivated on this build so I have full confidence in 37 days we are gonna have one hell of a car!!! Few pics of progress.

Attachments

#20 ·
Looks similar to my start. Did my rear wheel wells too. Just used round steel stock and tucked it into the lower belt line. Turned out nice.

I also left the front clip stock. Used plates for the spring perches and used a speedway kit for the axle. I use the stock steering but mine sits high in the front. If you don’t want to go that high switch to front steer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.