Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 65 Comet and want to build a gasser.
Does anybody have any good build treads comet/fairlane?
Where is the best place to get a front suspention? speedway?
Looks like the speedway springs are short and look like that it mite ride bad. Any info on that? thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
Welcome to the forum. 65 Comets make great gassers. You can get the axle from speedway or a multitude of older trucks. I am going with a late 40's to 50 dodge truck axle on my 66 Falcon. Speedway axle setup is more complete and all brand new. When I convert my axle to disc brakes it will only be about 150-200 dollars cheaper than the speedway kit but I like to abuse myself and do it the harder way. There are a few build threads of falcons and comets in here to pull ideas from. I am not sure about the ride of the springs.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
If you can find one, I'd drop a early Econoline straight axle into the Comet. Should be a good width, plus it will be all Ford and keep the original bolt pattern. Probably cheaper and easier than a Speedway axle too. I see them around $250 occasionally, and I bought one a couple months ago for $120 with all new drums, kinpins, rod ends, etc. and it had original springs and shackles too.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Comet setup, so I can't answer that question. I know the Econoline is a push/pull steering, but that's an easy swap to make them cross steer. Depends on how your pitman arm lines up with the axle and tierod assembly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum! Yes you can use stock steering box in its stock location. On my 64 Falcon were running a 65 Ford econoline front axle that has been narrowed. The steering has been changed to cross steer using a dropped pitman arm. The front econoline springs and brakes were used, rides and stops very nice.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Welcome aboard and glad to see all the Blue Oval guys piping in on their setups. Maybe we can figure out a way to make tech articles for each style of car with measurements and recommendations. That sounds like work... :D

Mike

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
You don't necessarily need a dropped pitman arm. You can put the steering bracket on the top two bolts of the spindle, which will make it line up closer, and probably not require a dropped pitman arm. Usually just takes longer bolts and a couple spacers to mount it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
after trying out several differnt boxes on my 55 i used i steering box out off a 2000 ford expedition its fairly small and worked nice and i had power steering

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used a steering gear from a 63 Galaxy on my 67 Falcon with Econoline axle converted to cross steer. The main reason I changed from stock was because this gear uses a rag joint and allowed me to drop the colume and extend the shaft back some, I used a colume shaft from a early seventies F100 pickup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts