Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Motoring from SC, just getting started on a 64 Falcon gasser build for some street use...I'm looking at Speedway kits and think I want a 4in drop axle. I don't want my car way up.. 302 w/4 stick....some advice and pic would really be helpful..the Falcon track is about 58in, so I'm thinking a 48 to 50in axle..much thanks....

·
Registered
258 Posts
And if I had it to do over again on mine, I'd go to a slightly lower stance. Maybe 3-4 inches front and back.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jim. Falcons are cool. Vall and Lon both have experience with building with speedway stuff. Vall has a 63 Falcon build thread. Hope you get what you need from the forum. I have a 3 inch drop on my Chevy and yet with the CJ jeep springs it went up to a nice gasser lift. Not too high thanks to the 3 inch drop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys, best people in the world are hot rod people....I know I'll have a ton of questions as I get father along, taking the car apart now. The axle will be my first project...I'll post pic soon, later jim

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
I'm using an Econoline axle in my '63 Futura. But I have a chromed 1936 Chevy axle that I hope to put in it soon. They accept Econoline spindles by just turning down the kingpin bushings. But it's a little narrower, and will fit the body width better.
Have a Speedway in my Austin gasser, and they are a nice kit, though a lot more money than an I beam axle.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Thanks, did you have to narrow the Econoline axle? I would love to see some pic ......
No I wish I had, but used it full width, with 4"x15" Americans and skinny tires. Definitely fills the front sheet metal, but I should have trimmed it down a couple inches. The Chevy axle will fix that, as it's 2.5" narrower. Pics are in the project area under "'63 Falcon Futura Gasser". I added a lot of frame support to the front Unibody, and subframe connectors to the back, as I was concerned about the 464 c.i. BBC tearing up the Unibody.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks very good, I'm planning on putting a lot of support under mine too..I bet she totes the mail....very nice and thanks too

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Back in the 60's Ford put some big power into various smaller Unibody cars. I don't know what they may have done to keep them together, but I wanted some heavier metal in my build. So I put heavy wall 1"x3" tubing under the front rails. Add the subframe connectors. Tied the subframe connectors out to the rocker panels, and floor pans with round tube. Then finished off with a 6 point cage, and the frame rail supports out front. Probably added a lot of weight, but enough HP/CI I don't notice it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like you did a really good job...I've got a lot of work to do, but thats a good thing......Some SBF header pic would be nice with a straight axle.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have my car apart now, soon as I get some body work out the way, I'l post the build. You guys have been great help. For now I'll be using a 302 solid lifter motor with some nice steel heads and a T10. I think I found a 9in out of a 57 Fairlane, we'll see....thank for all the info and pic...and great work on yall's cars very nice.....jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My plans so far are to go with a Speedway 48in axle with a 4in drop. Not sure about the leaf springs yet, gonna look at a lot. Crites subframe kit and traction bar set up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts