Gasser HotRod Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Yeah Mike pretty neat find. Tell us about the 440 trade when you get time. What a great gift. She must have flipped out when she saw it.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
When I bought the 64, it had a 440 engine and stock 727 transmission that had been rebuilt in it. The engine had been setting for 18+ years, supposedly rebuilt. No receipts or parts listed. The heads had to be pulled apart, some of the valves had rusted shut. So I was on the lookout for a possible other 440. When I put my 70 Javelin up for sale to help fund the 64 I had a fella offer a trade which included a 1964 1/2 Plymouth Valiant with a 440 big block 10.1 compression, steel crank, with Edelbrock E street heads, Eldebrock intake manifold, Holley750 double pumper carburetor, Moroso deep sump oil pan with windage tray. The transmission rebuilt with a Hughes 10 inch heavy duty torque converter, manual valve body reverse pattern 727. It also had msd 6a box msd, electronic distributer, Jaz overflow tanks and some other bits and pieces I could use on the Polara. I am not to sure about the Estreet heads yet, I may change them out. So thats the story, and now I have a spare 440 and 727 transmission.

Oh and the wife was thrilled. I had to take a 14 foot loading ramp back to the rental place (used for her Mom and wheelchair to get in and out of the new house while under construction). The guy I knew called and asked if I still wanted to buy the Javelin, I laughed and told him I happened to be in town and just happended to have my flatbed trailer and tie down straps. We loaded it up and I took it home. Called the wife and asked her to open the gate to let me in. Big surprise.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
When I bought the 64, it had a 440 engine and stock 727 transmission that had been rebuilt in it. The engine had been setting for 18+ years, supposedly rebuilt. No receipts or parts listed. The heads had to be pulled apart, some of the valves had rusted shut. So I was on the lookout for a possible other 440. When I put my 70 Javelin up for sale to help fund the 64 I had a fella offer a trade which included a 1964 1/2 Plymouth Valiant with a 440 big block 10.1 compression, steel crank, with Edelbrock E street heads, Eldebrock intake manifold, Holley750 double pumper carburetor, Moroso deep sump oil pan with windage tray. The transmission rebuilt with a Hughes 10 inch heavy duty torque converter, manual valve body reverse pattern 727. It also had msd 6a box msd, electronic distributer, Jaz overflow tanks and some other bits and pieces I could use on the Polara. I am not to sure about the Estreet heads yet, I may change them out. So thats the story, and now I have a spare 440 and 727 transmission.

Oh and the wife was thrilled. I had to take a 14 foot loading ramp back to the rental place (used for her Mom and wheelchair to get in and out of the new house while under construction). The guy I knew called and asked if I still wanted to buy the Javelin, I laughed and told him I happened to be in town and just happended to have my flatbed trailer and tie down straps. We loaded it up and I took it home. Called the wife and asked her to open the gate to let me in. Big surprise.
Wow the 440 and trans sounds like a good deal. How good is the valiant. Can you recoup some money as a roller?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Wow the 440 and trans sounds like a good deal. How good is the valiant. Can you recoup some money as a roller?
Yes, I sold the roller for a fair price to a friend who wanted to put another 440 in it. I later got a call from another fella who had bought it from my friend and wanted a couple of parts that I kept. My friend has a hot rod build shop, so I was afraid to ask what he got for it. But I did ok.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts