Gasser HotRod Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What's going on the '38 after you steal the Fentons for this project Mike?
I am afraid I am tire poor, or maybe can't make up my mind:). I have the street rims and tires for front and back. I will just leave the fronts alone when I go to the track, they are MT bias tires. They are just not quite as tall as the M&H track tires that are on the Fentons that are now on the 64. So I have a set of 15x4 and 15x12 centerlines with Stahl front tires and MT big slicks extra now if you want to buy them for the Chevy.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
I am afraid I am tire poor, or maybe can't make up my mind:). I have the street rims and tires for front and back. I will just leave the fronts alone when I go to the track, they are MT bias tires. They are just not quite as tall as the M&H track tires that are on the Fentons that are now on the 64. So I have a set of 15x4 and 15x12 centerlines with Stahl front tires and MT big slicks extra now if you want to buy them for the Chevy.
My Chevy is 4.5" pattern and likely the same as your setup. But I'm pretty happy with the Torq Thrusts, so I'll pass Mike! Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I built some light weight brackets and mounted a fiberglass front bumper. Shaved the old door latches and installed bear claw latches. 64 Dodge 26.jpg 64 Dodge 27.jpg 64 Dodge 29.jpg 64 Dodge 28.jpg

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Were the original door latches bad Mike, or do you just prefer the bear claw type? Nice work on them, and the bumper!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Were the original door latches bad Mike, or do you just prefer the bear claw type? Nice work on them, and the bumper!
The door handle mechanism was still ok, but they had removed the inner frame and door edge. They had put in a mounting hoop on the roll cage for a bear claw. It was about the only option other than rebuilding the stock door jamb.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
64 Dodge 33.jpg 64 Dodge 32.jpg 64 Dodge 31.jpg 64 Dodge 30.jpg Since there was no floor supports I used 1" square tubing for most of the floor since it did not need to support a lot of weight. Under the drivers seat I used a couple of 1x2.5" rectangular tubing to support my backside.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Finishing up the floor, I cut cardboard templates to fit around the rollbar and cage supports to finish with a little cleaner look. 64 Dodge 36.jpg 64 Dodge 34.jpg 64 Dodge 35.jpg 64 Dodge 37.jpg

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Looks good, full competition interior on a street car....Oh Yea. I made some slip in seat pads so the race seats are more suited for a longer sit in time before your butt gets sore

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Looks good, full competition interior on a street car....Oh Yea. I made some slip in seat pads so the race seats are more suited for a longer sit in time before your butt gets sore
Nope, not a street car. Strictly race.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi all, sorry I was on holiday and just got the car to the glass shop for a windshield. Super busy getting an area ready for a Mother in Law house. So this is going to the back burner for a bit. I will update as I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I was finally able to clear enough gravel and rock from in front of my shop door to get the 64 back inside the shop. Finishing up transferring some components off another 440 engine onto the one going into the car. I ended up cutting some ears off the transmission to get the safety shield to fit and put in the new lockable dipstick for the tranny. And of course it hits the midplate, so had to modify the plate to get the dipstick in. Never fails. Waiting on some parts from the Big Brown truck to finish up the motor and then get in back into the car. Coming along.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hopefully they reopen the tracks so we can race. I would race swap meet wagons right now just to have some fun 😁

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
I know what you mean Mike! The lack of anything car related has me wanting for a lot more this year!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I traded my 70 Javelin for a race car that had a 440 engine and most of the other stuff I needed for the 64. My wife had a 72 Javelin in High School and I had been on the lookout for one for her we could fix up. This one came available last week from a friend whose father could no longer drive. So she got it for her birthday. Couple of little things to upgrade, but pretty clean for a old car. Still is all original. Mother in Laws house is in, the old house sold. Maybe now I can get back onto the 64!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Had a first year Javelin, White with Red interior...was a fun car...nice find...family first...sounds like you stepped up big time

21 - 40 of 47 Posts