Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1595 Posts

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here are the first pics of the Falcon. Still sitting on the trailer since it came from a barn where the owner had it stored the last 23 years. Pretty clean and straight, wwith very minor rust bubbles at the door bottom, and rear trunk drops. Not sure it will need more than weld repair, as I think it's minor enough to not replace any metal.
It's got a dead 6 cyl. that turns over, but supposedly has some blowby. Three speed tranny, so I hope to keep it as a stick. Buckets are newer than the car, and funky. I've got a pair of decent buckets I swapped for that will go in it.
Wont be much progress on swapping in a big block Chevy until I've got other home projects done, but might slip out there occasionally!

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Grille

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Robert! Happy to be able to start with a pretty straight vehicle. It will save some time and labor.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still waiting on the Falcon's previous owner to drag out the parts he's got stored for it, so I can see what all else he has with it. Supposed to be a full set of 14" studded tires that will fit the wife's Mazda, plus extra fenders, tailights, trim, and such.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Vall, that falcon looks solid I even like the color man the body is straight. You sould be up and running in no time. Awesome score. Andy

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! I think it could be done quickly, but I'm planning to take some time and savor the build too. With BBC power, I need to do a fair bit of frame reinforcing, plus connecting front and rear unibody together. The front frame rails need some additional steel on the bottom to make them suitable to hang a straight axle off, so a little work needed there too.
This will be a budget build, but still want to make it strong enough to thrash on it.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now your wife can go cruising with you when its done ! !
We'll see. She can't drive a stick, so she'd have to drive the Austin, and she's already not keen on that idea for whatever reason! Her idea of going cruising is the passenger seat, but she did notice this Falcon before me, and pointed out that "the neighbor just brought home a first gen. Falcon". Which totally amazed me that she even knew what a Falcon was, or that it was a first gen!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Nice looking project cat Vall. Good score. Looking forward what you do with it. Had a friend in High school that owned an early Falcon. I was a sophmore and he was a senior. He built a rather stout little 289 and he used to blow many bigger and "faster" cars away. It was a very basic stripper but he was also hoping to built a gasser then, this would be 1967-68. When he graduated, the day after graduation June '68, he got an invite to join Uncle Sam in Vietnam. I never saw him again but never heard that he was hurt or killed. Anywho, that was a fast little bugger. Mark L

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Nice car Vall. I think you will be happier with that than you would have been with the Chrysler. It is nice to have something in decent shape to start with. Have fun, get your game face on!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Mark and Mike! Yeah, the Chrysler was interesting, but I wanted something easier to work with, and more complete, so went with this.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Is it as straight as it looks? It looks like it might have something going on at the front pass. side. That would be a great companion to the Mouse. Better than a '57 Chebby? I think it might be. Plus it's in your hands for a steal leaving more $ for mods.

Let me know if I can help on it. And you know the lift is always open to you.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it as straight as it looks? It looks like it might have something going on at the front pass. side. That would be a great companion to the Mouse. Better than a '57 Chebby? I think it might be. Plus it's in your hands for a steal leaving more $ for mods.

Let me know if I can help on it. And you know the lift is always open to you.

Mike
They sprang the r. front fender when they were trying to pull it up on the trailer, as the brakes were locked up, but there's a spare fender for that side, so no biggie.
I'm still going to call on the '57 Chev. It sounds too good to not take a look. One of the two could generate a profit if I turned whichever I liked least.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got a lead on a 454 today from a friend. Gotta call his father and see what shape it's in. Supposed to be a runner with a few performance mods. That would be nice to just slap the heads/tunnel ram on and go!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hey Vall, I'm likin that Falcon,,,brings back memories,,it was one of the first hotrods I rode in,,Cruzin Los Angeles on a Saturday night
Cool stuff,, and what a handfull that would be with a big block! Scary fun!

1 - 20 of 1595 Posts