Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi you guys. I decided to re post a few pictures of my new gasser. This is the second time to write this post, I get so excited the post turns into a documentary of words.

I'm trying to be above that, but even at 61 years old, the little boy inside me is freaking out!

The car is in my opinion just beautiful, and new front to rear. 383 stroker , race built Turbo 350, built to handle it Ford 9" rear end, 3.70 gears.

I hopefully will soon replace the brand new tires and wheels, with Cragar SS wheels and M/T Sportsman radials. The car is mini-tubbed, to handle 12" wide tires I think the ones on it are 8"s wide in back, the front I'm not sure but the front ones are just right for a street gasser.

The car has tons of innovations and even has a brand new after market replacement stock speedometer. The car has 19.9 miles on it. I wish I could say I built this beauty, but I didn't.

The car cost me BIG! Not bragging, I think it would have cost me a lot more, to find all the parts and as well a 62 Nova that the wind didn't whistle thru front to back! The man that built it has years more experience than I do and builds serious race cars and what ever else trips his trigger at the time.

I may have a sale soon on the brand new tires and wheels, only because I just love Cragar SS wheels, especially deep ones with some Mickey Thompson Sportsman radials, to get some meat under it in the back.

And the Turbo 350 also new and race built, is going to be replaced by a 700 R-4 built by Monster transmissions, with 4th gear lock up converter switchable by me for highway cruising.

These are things I can do my self, and start to become part of how the car is done.

003.jpg 20141216_120802 - Copy.jpg 20141216_120718.jpg 20141213_125341.jpg 20141213_124746.jpg

Here is a poorly done video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hucuIg2ks This is a new one.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Wow that thing needs a lot of work ...... send up to me here in Washington and I will fix.............. does the odometer work lol, does it have a kit sub frame or the axle graff to the orginal

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
002.jpg Ya I know, its a mess. I'm going to try my best to get it fixed up. Yes sir the odometer works, its a new speedometer. Speedway provided the straight axel kit and 4 wheel disc brakes. The rear end and rear suspension I'm not sure about other than its a 9" Ford and has been built up big time. I think the rest of the suspension in the rear also came from Speedway.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Looking at the underside pictures, it appears the front subframe is fabricated, and definitely not built using the stock subframe. Not sure if the builder did it, or purchased, as it's impossible to tell. A Nova is an easy subframe to fabricate when you're building it for a straight axle. I don't believe it's a Speedway, unless they left the firewall braces off. Speedway Nova subframe kits have firewall braces.
At $1500 the Speedway Nova kit is a fantastic deal! You get everything forward from the firewall, plus axle and even a Vega steering box. Nice to be able to just plug and play the whole thing!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt notice

Vall you nailed it buddy! that's just what's under the front of my car. And it does have the braces, you could not see them in the pictures I don't think.

Here are pictures of each side, you can see where the sub frame bolted up, like in the picture, mines just red. The drivers side brace has that large braided line attached to it.

004 - Copy.jpg 005 - Copy.jpg

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
That's a great setup Gary, and about half the price of what everyone else is charging for similar front clips for a Nova!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well coming from you Vall that means a lot. It looks like it belongs there rather than not. You might imagine how anxious I am to get it on the street.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
when I ask if the speedo worked I was being a smart ass, meaning I could drive it and you wouldn't know how far, that rear end reminds me of some of the off road set ups I have seen.. if the work on the outside is that well done then my guess that the internals are that well done also, I dont think you caught my humor on it being a mess... far from it.....kind of hard to convey sarcasm on a computer....Lash

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Anybody ever hear from Gary? When he first joined he posted all the time and this most current thread is missing about 75% of his original posts. Some of the last posts he did were about his buying a motorhome and trailer to go around the country to various car shows. He did make it out here a few years ago for the Gasser Fest car show. I also remember someone (maybe me) came across an ad somewhere that featured his Nova for sale and posted on here wondering if it was him and as it turned out it wasn't.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
He hasn't even been logged in here for 4.5 yrs. I figured he sold the Nova, and moved on to camping or something?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I thought the same thing except that he was so completely stocked about finally having the gasser he always wanted. Life happens though.....................
It is interesting though how new members will join, post updates of their builds then fall off the radar to never be heard from again.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Yes, he certainly was stoked on getting the Nova gasser. But a lot of guys who aren't really gearheads, but have the money to just buy, soon discover they aren't like buying a new Camaro, Mustang, etc. They take fiddling and tuning, and repairing.
I've known a number of guys who wanted to own a hotrod, but couldn't do anything more than change oil. And after owning one for a year or two they sold them, and went out and bought a new Corvette. Whenever somebody owns a nice hotrod, but tells me they don't know how to work on one, I figure they must be rich, or they'll soon be tired of it.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I think you may have hit the nail on the head Vall. As he writes in his first post Gary bought the car as a turn key for a bunch of money but then proceeded to spend a whole lot more cash on it and I don't remember him posting much about projects he was taking on himself. Maybe the novelty of a gasser wore off when he realized the dream he had when he was younger was more than he wanted to deal with as an adult.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
I know if I bought a completed car, I'd have zero attachment to it. I'd have to make enough changes to make it mine. But unless I made a bunch of changes it just never would have much attraction to me. I enjoy driving them, but it's building them that really turns my crank!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Damn...I must not be a hot rodder since I just bought one............lol.... That's ok I prefer being a biker type any way

1 - 20 of 22 Posts