Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd let y'all see what the comet looks like before she gets a makeover. She ain't nothin special but it came with a straight axle from the previous owner who was going to make it a gasser. Isn't running or driving right now so that's my goal by the end of July.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Nice project. should be fun and look great. love the nostalgia.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Always good to see another build! Looks nice and tasteful this should be fun to watch..... Do you have any more shots? If not keep us posted can’t wait to see more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's got them aftermarket lightweight Flintstone floorboards. It's rusty and crusty but I could expect that from most cars this old. Also came with free rats so that's a plus. Final price on this car was $800 if any of you would like to know. I couldn't pass up the chance to buy this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
That rear shot is "sinister" I like the car just not a fan of those floorboards and those freeloaders rats. Congrats your plan sounds good with lots of potential !!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
002 (3).jpg Hey Mario, Gary here, look man I got a gasser kind of like yours! Runs a blown Ford 427 cammer! Until now this was as close as I ever came to having one made of steel that you can drive.

Built this one about 30 years ago and its plastic!

·
Registered
278 Posts
You know that is an attention getting rear end of car! Those tail lights rock. I wish I had the skill it takes to De- Flintstone! I want to see this as you go along, maybe I'll learn something.

Do you have an idea of engine for it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to drop in a 460 or 429. I did think of going the not so typical gasser route and getting a new 5.0 that comes in the mustangs and strapping a couple turbos on it just to make people mad and to be different. Most likely it will have a bbf with a c6 and a ford 9". Maybe I could get lucky and get one of my cousins old sprint car engines and run alcohol, that would be fun! Replacing the floors on this car shouldn't be too hard. The rockers are pretty solid and the rust is where the seat is. I already found replacement floors for it, and my brother-in-law can do the welding for me. I'll make sure I document the process.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Oh Great man! I want to see the progress on it as you go. I don't know anything about running alcohol, what sort of engine is it your cousins have? The Coyote 5.0 running twin turbo' s would be a mean machine. That little Comet wouldn't know what hit it! But super expensive, and lots of extra electronics and complication.

I have a Shelby Mustang its an 07. There are very few things a man can do under the hood with out a computer and my Shelby came with a hand held tuner for modifications. For me, except for the main engine components, most of the rest of the crap under there is a big "?". Under the hood of my Nova, it's old school Heaven.

I am in contact with a company called "The Engine Factory" Man they build some seriously mean, works of art in the engine department! If things go right, I am having them build me a 434 small block from a Dart 427, but running two fours and pretty it up a bit. They will send you pictures every evening showing your build progress, then they live run them and take video. You may have already seen this place.

Here is the Chevy engine I'm talking about http://enginefactory.com/434CSB575HP.htm I'll sell my new 383 stroker in the car now. But take a look at some Ford power man.. There expensive, but wow!

This would put some gitty up in the Comet. http://enginefactory.com/Ford_427W_530Horsepower_Stroker.htm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That engine is gonna make that nova scream! The engines my cousin uses is a 410ci all aluminum big block running on alcohol which burns hotter than normal gas but also a lot safer. I belive it's pushing 900hp. I probably don't need anything that powerful but it sure would be fun! I'd prefer to use a ford engine in the comet, I don't particularly care to put a chevy in a ford or a ford in a chevy. Unless I could find a 5.0 out of a wrecked mustang or somethin I probably won't go that route cause me and wiring does not mix. The comet is going to be a budget build so the engine isn't going to be very crazy at first but she will someday!

·
Registered
278 Posts
That engine is gonna make that nova scream! The engines my cousin uses is a 410ci all aluminum big block running on alcohol which burns hotter than normal gas but also a lot safer. I belive it's pushing 900hp. I probably don't need anything that powerful but it sure would be fun! I'd prefer to use a ford engine in the comet, I don't particularly care to put a chevy in a ford or a ford in a chevy. Unless I could find a 5.0 out of a wrecked mustang or somethin I probably won't go that route cause me and wiring does not mix. The comet is going to be a budget build so the engine isn't going to be very crazy at first but she will someday!
Your on your way man. I totally agree with you, to run a Ford engine in your Comet. A 900 HP engine would sure put you out in front of me. At 61 years of age, I am still way to immature and stupid to handle 900 horses like you should. Nope, somebody some where I was at would either want to race on the street, or get me to "perform" for them just showing off, and pile the car up real bad and me too!

I know this will happen soon in the Nova, but in this case I have so much money tied up in it, and the certain knowledge that if I wreck it, acting a fool at my age, I wont ever get over it, if I lived.

I promised the wife, "with the money" that I would avoid getting killed right away if possible. As well she knows I go to local hangouts every week in my Mustang or on my ZX-14 that runs 9's, and have always returned in tact, me and the car or bike. To my shame, "sort of " I have ran well over 180 mph on my bike out in the country stretching it out, at one of the places we go to drag race out of town. Linda my wife doesn't know that! At the Texas Mile down south of San Antonio, my Mustang averaged 166.251 both ways in two runs. Linda didn't know about that either! I love this stuff...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your secret is safe with me! Speed is such a wonderful thing. If I get the comet to run high 10's I'll be perfectly happy... well, for a little while at least. Until I want to go faster.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I bought my '63 Falcon project from a neighbor, and although it was almost rust free, the mice had taken over the car! Vacuumed 30 gallons of mouse nests from all over the interior! I even found mice had nested behind the headlights in the buckets! It took a lot of work to gut the interior, and clean everything to bare metal, so I could paint it all and seal the stink away. But each step I took in gutting, and cleaning it made it smell better. Be sure to wear something more than a cheap disposable dust mask while cleaning it! I put my cartridge paint filter on, and even used a damp handkerchief under it to help ensure I'd not inhale any of the mouse crud!
I know virtually nothing about Ford engines, so ended up going with a .040" over 454 BBC, and Super T10 4 speed in my Falcon. Since I also was on a tight budget, I wanted to go with something I knew, and could build inexpensively. I'm into my Falcon under $5,000 total at this point, and having a lot of fun for such a cheap car.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I bought my '63 Falcon project from a neighbor, and although it was almost rust free, the mice had taken over the car! Vacuumed 30 gallons of mouse nests from all over the interior! I even found mice had nested behind the headlights in the buckets! It took a lot of work to gut the interior, and clean everything to bare metal, so I could paint it all and seal the stink away. But each step I took in gutting, and cleaning it made it smell better. Be sure to wear something more than a cheap disposable dust mask while cleaning it! I put my cartridge paint filter on, and even used a damp handkerchief under it to help ensure I'd not inhale any of the mouse crud!
I know virtually nothing about Ford engines, so ended up going with a .040" over 454 BBC, and Super T10 4 speed in my Falcon. Since I also was on a tight budget, I wanted to go with something I knew, and could build inexpensively. I'm into my Falcon under $5,000 total at this point, and having a lot of fun for such a cheap car.
Man I love your car! And Ford engines are expensive to build like a Dodge or Plymouth. I'm a Ford man for my normal use vehicles, but Chevys are a lot cheaper to build and work on, and are tough.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Man I love your car! And Ford engines are expensive to build like a Dodge or Plymouth. I'm a Ford man for my normal use vehicles, but Chevys are a lot cheaper to build and work on, and are tough.
I purchased my .040" over 454 for $450, with 8,000 miles on the rebuild. Sold the heads off it for $200, and bought a pair of almost new Edelbrock heads for $900. In the deal the seller also gave me a new Pete Jackson gear drive, full set of nitride pushrods, and a set of Crower roller rockers. Picked up a Weiand tunnel ram for $100, and put a Comp cam in the engine before buttoning it up. So I have less than $1500 in the motor, and not sure I could buy a stock engine of almost any kind for that money. I'm pretty much always on a budget, so keeping costs down is important, so I can keep building.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found a guy that is selling two 429/460 engines plus a c6 auto and a ford 9" all for $1000. They're just stock engines and they're taken apart but I planned on getting one built anyways along with the trans. I think it sounds like a pretty good deal... if only I had a spare 10k to spend!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wildcat, I'd latch onto those Ford parts for a grand. The stock 460 Ford responds very well to basic hot rodding i.e. Intake, Cam and Headers. Even with a low compression ratio. And like a 440 Chrysler they are every bit as cheap to build as a Chevy.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I had one of those way back bought it for $250 was in great shape even with the six and automatic I could power brake it up till the one rear tire would pop, and one day it did, the most I have ever seen my buddies laugh,looking forward to seeing its transformation

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
And of course I have to give my opinion on the build, go small block,with the big the engine the more you have to reinforce that unitized frame, now if you can get mustang sub connectors and stuff to fit or mod that will help big time, with the big block any thing less than a 4 link set up and a full sub frame it will need, mine with its six would twist the body pretty good when i power braked it up enough that the door gap would close up at the top , really made lite weight

1 - 20 of 33 Posts