Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question why is it when I see these Falcons made into gassers its almost always the 2dr sedan or maybe the occasional Rancharo but I have never seen a wagon is there a reason for this? I'm asking this because I'm trying to buy a Falcon wagon and I would love to make a gasser out of it.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Quick question why is it when I see these Falcons made into gassers its almost always the 2dr sedan or maybe the occasional Rancharo but I have never seen a wagon is there a reason for this? I'm asking this because I'm trying to buy a Falcon wagon and I would love to make a gasser out of it.
It's been my experience over the years that 2drs are just more desirable to most. It's all about what you like and not what the mainstream likes. You can build a gasser out of 4drs and wagons too. On this site you will see all kinds. So rest assured you won't be criticized for your thoughts of a wagon gasser.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Wagons make unusual gassers, and can be pretty cool. Very few Falcon wagons were 2 doors, so I'd guess you'll rarely see a 2 door wagon in any configuration. I wouldn't have an issue building a wagon gasser. Had a '57 Chevy wagon gasser in the early 70's, and it seemed to be enjoyed by those who saw it.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Just saw one on the web when I was searching for Gasser interiors on google images, 2 dr. straight axled and looking good.... there out there just not a lot......build what you want

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well its not a 2dr wagon but I like to be different and I figure WTH I think it will make a cool gasser and it won't be like something everybody does.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Isn't that what really counts...at least to me it does... good luck and look forward to seeing it if you get it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope I can get my landlord to sell me the wagon all it is doing is just sitting and wasting away I will post pics if I can get it.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
The picture of the 2 door wagon brings up one challenge. A 4 dr. will require some extra effort to do the rear wheelwell radius. Having to cut the door and door opening, and then rework it to retain the seal, and new shape for a larger opening. It might be a bit tricky, but not impossible.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh, I'd be all over building a wagon. Nothing wrong with that. The way I see it is you have a great chance of doing something unique, "your thing" with it. More of a chance of a one of a kind thing coming from a wagon, as well.

Yup, I agree with joker. Weld those rear doors up and move the rear axle forward to where it's encroaching on the rear door area. Absolutely nuts. The one regret I have from my plymouth build is not pushing that rear axle farther forward. Next build, right? Most wagons you've got plenty of real estate to play with wheelbase.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
At my local cruise nights a guy has a rambler wagon gasser with welded doors. You can't tell it was a 4dr. Really cool car. He even 2 toned it black on bottom with gold metallic on top. Looks wild. So the world is your oyster. Or something like that.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Since I've already had a 2 dr hardtop Rambler American, I've always thought about an American wagon fitted with 2 dr sedan doors. Not sure how I would handle extending the rear side windows, though, since they're curved glass.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I'd probably not go through all the work of welding the doors up. I'd do as I did with my Austin, and simply remove the exterior rear door handles and weld the holes shut. I can still open mine from the inside if I need access, and most people don't notice it's a 4 door.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I remember in the 70's guys running wagons because of the weight transfer was fantastic. Really remember a 67 Fairlane. I think it was maroon.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Just remember a wagon hauls more beer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
LOVE those LONG ladder bars.

I think welding up the rear doors and filling them in is a much better look than when it's on a station wagon then when it's done on a 4-door sedan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts