Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Well we started on Jason's Studebaker's body. Now for the most part this body is awesome when it comes to the lack of rust. However, it does have some small spots here and there we have to address. One being in the trunk opening area where the trunk seal goes. Now it will take me some time to get my photos up because our area internet is having speed issues. Most times I get timed out before I finish loading. But here is a start, and I will hopefully load more tomorrow.

I ended up cutting the back side of the panel out to get to the rest of the repair, but clearly you can see the threw holes.

Untitled by ProMetalShop, on Flickr

So first I made a template from poster board of the channel where the rubber would set.

I actually used my stretcher to shape the template which worked nicely, then taped the inside of the channel so it would keep its shape.
then after transferring the shape to the sheet metal, I taped it as well. That gave me clear lines to follow when I tipped the both edges of the channel. Now I took a chance and pre-stretched the area before I tipped. Heres a some what fuzzy picture, but you'll get the idea.

Here it is partially installed

I will get some better pictures tomorrow. We are working on the quarter panels also. I will get them loaded here soon.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Pics, pics, where are the pics!?!?!? I have to book mark this one. Sweet! Looks good as always Steve. I´m very impressed and you have inspired me and my project a lot.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Glad you guys are doing a build thread on the Stude! Looks great so far, and I'm sure Jason will have a very nice car when you're all done!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Hey Steve, don't worry about the grainy pics, it'll buff out, LOL.

Mark

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That there is a funny Mark :D :D :D
Well working on the left rear quarter, and there is a fair amount of damage in the front and the rear of the quarter. So I started with the very rear.

This is the damage.

After about an hour I got the one area here down to where I'm picking out the small low spots. Tomorrow I will remove the bracket thats keeping the damage in place.

Smoothing out the damage by ProMetalShop, on Flickr

It's one low spot at a time ! !

Not much more then move on to the next damage...

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Holy cow Steve! Looks like it wont even need filler now! Nice work! I think you could make a living doing this metal work! ;)

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks Jason ! !
Well I'm on the front of the left rear quarter.

Seems to be that most of the damage on the rear quarter panels have deep groove like from a fork lift or a bucket edge of a loader from pushing the Stude around the field ! !

I did a quick straightening of the lower edge so it would help hold the shape of the bottom of the panel. And then blocked out some of the deeper damage so I was left with shallow repairs.

After blocking with the wooden mallet I colored in the damage and started with the shrinking disc

After my first few rounds with the shrink disc, and some mild off dolly and a slapper the low area are starting to surface and the highs are leveling.

After quite a few more passes with the shrink disc, I re coated the area with a marker. As I'm doing this I take a piece of 80 grit on an aluminum bar stock and scuff the panel to track my high and low areas.

About two hours into this area and I'm starting to see head way ! !

Ok I'm where I can start chasing the small areas down near the bottom and move the the middle of the panel over the wheel opening to fix an old repair, when they still drilled holes and used dent pullers..... :eek:

Thanks for looking, See ya tomorrow :cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's what I call a "magic marker", just paint over the dent and after erasing the ink, the dent is GONE!! :cool: Where do you buy these markers?

1 - 20 of 131 Posts