Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my avatar this evening. I've been playing around with some pictures of the Morris to get some idea of what I hope it will eventually look like. This is one I photo shopped and thought it may be a fair depiction, although an artist I am not. The weather was rainy and cooler here today. A good day to get out visit with some friends and look for some much needed parts. I made a connection with a guy that has a front end I may be able to use under the Morris. It's a 5" dropped tube axle with the spring over and split wishbones. I think the width is going to be real close to the 43 inches I need. I'm just not sure about the 5" drop. I could order a bare straight axle and change it, but.....add those $$ to what he wants for it and it's not a real deal anymore. :confused: Anyway....take a look and let me know what you think about the stance of the Morris. Am I in the ballpark? :D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I think you've got it. Not knowing what the asking price on the 5 inch dropped assembly it might still get you where you want to be depending on the mouning system. It may be able to be adjusted through mounts and shackles etc to get the ride height you want?? The actual look of the 5 inch dropped axle and the lifted frame height may be out of place though?? But I have seen gassers (mostly street freaks, not real race gassers) with dropped axles used for the front and spaced up and they did not look bad. It may come down to you own perspective. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
I like the stance! Anything can be made to work, but like Mark said, it just depends on your mounting points, and how much they require to be built up to get the height you need. I'd probably tack in the rear axle mounts, then tack the front in and see how it sat, then figure if it needs some adjustment.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey Nice and different, few years ago a guy i know had a morris with a 455 buick in it. Not straight axle but man it was sharp.It was a high dollar car.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
When I bought my Austin the guy who sold it had 6-8 Morris' and I would have loved to have built one of those too! They are such a nice looking body style, and being tiny they're perfect for a V8 swap in my opinion!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I am looking forward to a lot of good times with this car and probably a lot of "blood, sweat and tears" before it's done. Anyway......I was traveling to work one morning about a year ago and saw it sitting by the road with a for sale sign on the dash. It hit me just that quickly, that would be a great candidate for my small block chevy drive-train from the Anglia that I've been saving all these years. Like I said before, my initial plans were to build it pro street style. I found this site one evening, honestly don't remember how, doesn't matter, and you guys got me back on the right track. I used to pal around with a guy in the early '70's that built a Morris pick-up and I always loved that little truck. He had a 250 6 cylinder with Weber side-drafts and a power glide in it. He never really finished it before someone wanted it more than he…. Amazing how that is. But now I’m trying to decide on this front-end I looked at yesterday. I may not have made it clear about the axle assembly. It is the old A-model style with the single spring over the axle. Actually, that’s the set-up I ran in the Anglia except it was an I-beam with a 4” drop. I’ve been running this through my mind for nearly 24 hours and I agree Val. Anything can be made to work. I am going to build the chassis so all I should have to do is make the proper adjustments in the chassis and front cross-member. You guys are great! I may be cuttin’ and weldin’ sooner that expected. :D

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
I know a guy who runs that style front axle in a '67 GTO gasser! He's going 180-190 mph in the 1/4 and said he had a few handling isues at first, but then replaced the shocks with coil overs in front and it straightened up.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Val.....That's great information. I'll make note of that. I didn't really have handling issues with it under the Anglia, but I did experiance a severe shimmy upon hard braking but that was only after a burn-out. Never really figured out the problem. As long as she handled okay and ran straight we didn't worry about it. Wow! I don't expect to be running 180-190 mph either though. I did run 205 in a sling-shot dragster one time. Didn't feel real comfortable either. Makes one appreciate the nerve(I'll use that term since this may be a family forum) Big Don and those guys had to sit in those machines all those years. Robert

·
Registered
374 Posts
Set up properly, that axle will work just fine. Perfect for a light car. I recommend going with a cross-steering set up. You'll be glad you did.
I have a '40 ford axle under my Deuce pick up, and run 75-85 mph down the highway with no problems.
If I didn't already have my '59 Chevy truck axle when I did the install on my '55, I would have gone with a '40 ford axle and spring.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
I think the GTO needed the coliovers because of the weight off the car and the height, plus the speeds he was going. I doubt a light car would need anything extra to stop body roll and handling issues.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again guys. Very good input. I called the guy today to tell him I will take the frontend. He is an over the road driver and will be gone until Friday. So...I'll be really anxious for Saturday to get here. Maybe I can get a rough draft drawn up for the chassis and maybe even get some tubing ordered soon. I'm hoping to start getting some pictures and documenting some of the prefab and laying out of the chassis. It's been a long time and I'm not as fast as I once was...so you guys try to bare with me. Hopefully I want embarrass myself too many times. If I get too repetitive just tell me to move on. Sometimes CRS creeps up on me and I have some serious senior moments. Oh well…..But one thing for sure, I never had a problem with attention deficit disorder. Daddy had a cure for that …..his right foot. He couldn’t keep it out of the quads on top of the 409 in that blue and white ‘58 Impala. Bet you thought I was going somewhere else with that one didn’t you? :eek: Man….I loved that car. Oh yea, and if I get to rambling just ignore me. Thanks guys………Robert

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
It's OK to repeat.
I'm getting senior moments too and I need repetition to remember things too. Heh.
I'm getting senior moments too and I need repetition to remember things too. Heh.
Hey Deja Voo!!!

Mark UHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Mark.....it's always good to know you're not alone. :D

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
What???????

Think I need to go back to page#1 and start over again..... will do that as soon as "remember" how ..... LoL!!!!! Third time is the charm!!!! Or something like that!!!!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What a bummer! I went to see the guy I talked with last week about the frontend. I spent all week thinking I would finally be getting the front axle assembly I needed to get me started. I guess I hadn't examined it closely enough last week. After getting the assembly loaded onto my trailer something didn't look just right. So.....after getting the axle squared with the front of the trailer and pulling a tape on it, it's bent. :( I know that someone could probably straighten it, but I just don't want to start with parts I'm not comfortable with. I'd rather take a little longer and spend a few $$ more if nessasary. So....I'll keep lookin'. Robert

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
What a bummer! I went to see the guy I talked with last week about the frontend. I spent all week thinking I would finally be getting the front axle assembly I needed to get me started. I guess I hadn't examined it closely enough last week. After getting the assembly loaded onto my trailer something didn't look just right. So.....after getting the axle squared with the front of the trailer and pulling a tape on it, it's bent. :( I know that someone could probably straighten it, but I just don't want to start with parts I'm not comfortable with. I'd rather take a little longer and spend a few $$ more if nessasary. So....I'll keep lookin'. Robert
I hate it when I lose a bid, not get to the part in time off of Craigs list or walk up to someone selling at a swap meet just as the part I have been looking for months was just SOLD for 1/2 what I thought I'd have to pay.

In the long run you'll be happier with parts you can be worry-free with. Especially the front end of the car!!!

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Yes I beam axles can be straightened quite easily, but it isn't free, so unless the axle was next to free I'd pas too. Something will come along!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's about what I was thinking too, guys. I hate it when that happens. I should have been a little more vigilent the first time though. Good thing I didn't jump right on it last week and load it in the back of the truck. Anyway.....good lesson learned! :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts