Gasser HotRod Forums banner

241 - 260 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Thanks, guys! I'm sure it's going to be a ton of fun..... :) There are several things I noticed right off the bat that didn't especially suite me. Not that there's anything "wrong" but things I would, and most likely will do differently. And I realize that's what makes the world go around and makes each of us unique as individuals. I'll get into those things later whenever I start working on it. Until then..... the "wheels" will be turning! :D

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
I finally got a chance to pull the Morris body back off the frame to go to the body shop. I stuck a dolly together to make it easier to transport and move around Jimmy's shop. Before removing the body I cut the mid-cross member and tacked the driveshaft loop into place. Earlier I moved the rear-end back 2" so.... I also made a couple of new (longer) top links. Now, while the body is at the body shop I plan to disassemble the chassis and complete the welding and some painting (something on my bucket list for last winter). :rolleyes:
12-21-13 Morris Body.jpg 12-21-13 Rear Suspension.jpg

I keep reminding myself, "slow and easy." :D

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Now that's a dolly. Nice to be mobile and get things done.
mario

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Thanks Guys! The dolly really surprised me in how easily it rolls, even on wet ground. We've had quite a lot of rain lately and the barn yard is pretty soft but I had no problem pushing it the 60 or so yards to the barn. One of my buddies stopped by before I moved it to the barn and he was confused by the small wheels.... I told 'em I had decided to make it a peddle car..... :D :D I don't think he fell for it! :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Nice to know someone else is in the "dollie stage" As for me & my "dollie stage" mine are for storage while I seem to be doing "everything else" instead of working on the Opel.

Things sure have changed around her since the kids moved back home from LA with their "twins". But that's OK. Always time for getting back to work on the car. The "girls" and their Mom & Dad are scheduled to move into the house they found on January 1st..... seems hard to believe they have been living with us for over 6 weeks.

Then back to work on the tube chassis.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just saw your thread today. Of course the car is waaaay beeeechun'. Damn....that is killer! How did I miss this thread, first time i've seen this thread, body on the dolly makes it easy to move around. I had the most fun doing the floor on the car it was fun enjoy. It won't be my last I will be Watching!!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Thanks, noted 1017! I'm anxious to get to the floor in the Morris..... but a lot to do before I get there. I sure do appreciate the support that comes from everyone here. The motivation is phenomenal!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #251 (Edited)
I got a few hours to spend with the Morris on Saturday. I wanted to start disassembling the chassis so I can finish welding and do some painting. Guess I won't get much painting done before Spring as I don't have any heat in the garage. I decided I should take a few measurements before I take everything apart so I don't have to figure it all out again. Well..... good thing I guess! I found the rear end housing 3/16" out of square. So, after about 4 hours, I'm finally happy with it. I almost, at one point, said to heck with it, cut the lights out and went to the house! I just couldn't find the problem. I wore-out a brand new Stanley tape. Measure, re-measure, measure again! Pull the tape 108 inches and the tape falls before I could mark it! :mad: Can't tell you how many times that happened! I think I was having one of those "senior" moments...... but for hours? :confused: Anyway, when It finally hit me.... it was so obvious! Aint that the way it usually is? The four-link brackets on the left side of the rear housing were tilted forward 3/16". So, cut 'em loose and re-welded 'em! Now I remember why I just tacked everything together. :rolleyes: And.... during all of that, I decided to look at doing something a little different with the rear shock mounts. Still runnin' that by the engineering department though..... :D
1-4-14 Squaring Rearend(3).jpg

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Robert
When you build something and you know its not right, you have to live with it all the time you have the car. Its un setttling . You just can't feel right about it. I am the same way sometimes. There are times I can't move on till I fix something and make it right. Its great that you have attention to detail. Plus its a safer ride. You don't want that power plant taking the car sideways and chance getting hurt. Great job Robert. Your efforts will be rewarded when you're done.
Mario

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Thanks, Mario! You're spot-on! I probably could have adjusted it out, but not in my head! Like you say, it would have always been there......

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Thanks, Steve! It's great to have the support of those who understand and appreciate the extra effort! :)

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Always fun to tack things all together at mockup, but it also gives that 2nd chance to make the final adjustments before welding it all together. I've found my welding magnets help give me that 3rd hand to hold the end of the tape when I don't have anyone around to do it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Always fun to tack things all together at mockup, but it also gives that 2nd chance to make the final adjustments before welding it all together. I've found my welding magnets help give me that 3rd hand to hold the end of the tape when I don't have anyone around to do it.
Yea, Vall.....me too, but I'm just stubborn sometimes and then it gets the best of me!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Thanks, Mike! I should have plenty to do to keep me busy through the winter months. I can sit and stare and wish..... if nothing else! :D

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Robert, that happens to me too when I leave a project for a bit then come back to it. Glad that you got it squared up. Much easier for alignment later if you are starting from a frame that is lined up. Looks really good! Tight quarters, a lot going on in there. :D

Mike

241 - 260 of 295 Posts