Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay….Here we go. I have finally gotten started on the Morris build. After a year and a half of planning, collecting, planning, more collecting and even more planning, drawing and redrawing plans……I took two sticks of 2X3 tubing to the saw and now have the basics of a new chassis.
A 5X10 welding jig I built about 25 years ago for building utility trailers has proven to be very useful for many other projects. It should serve well for squaring and truing the chassis. I have not started welding yet as I want to cut some 1/8” flat plate to weld inside the tubing, rather than scabbing on the outside, to reinforce butt welds.
I will be using a ’32 ford front cross-member, transverse leaf spring and straight tube axle, from Lucky 7, with split wishbones. The cross-member will need some slight modifications to fit between the straight frame rails as the ends are not cut straight. There is a difference of 3/4” from front to rear. I cut some 3/8” flat plate and will weld it into the ends of the cross-member to make it straight and give more surface to weld. This will also allow me to clamp the cross-member into place, put the axle assembly in place and make adjustments as necessary before welding. Wow! That sounds simple enough.
The frame rails will be Z’ed 9 inches. I decided to Z them 90 degrees to allow for welding suspension brackets vertically. A four-link rear suspension with 18” upper trailing arms, 46-48” lower arms and coil-overs should provide adequate adjustment for a comfortable ride and still provide the old school appearance I’m looking for. And the Dana 60, 4:10 gear, Strange axles and M/T 15.50’s should handle the job where “the rubber meets the road.”
I’ll have to remove the old four-link brackets from the rear-end housing and construct some new ones. I had hoped to combine the wheelie bar brackets and four-link brackets but after considerable thought I don’t think it would work and still allow for mounting the coil-overs. I’m confident this will not be the last idea that doesn’t work, but that’s okay….I may even lean on some of you for guidance.
Well, that should keep me busy for a while. I will try to keep you posted on progress. I have some pictures I’ll try to get posted if I don’t encounter the upload issues some of you are experiencing.

cold_saw_8.jpg Dana_60.jpg Framerail_1.jpg Framerail_cuts.jpg cold_saw_3.jpg

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Val. I am really excited about making some noticable progress. All the preperations, gathering parts and pieces and the like are vital but you stand back and look a pile of parts and pieces and that's all you can make of it. I can't wait to see things taking shape. This deffinately will not be a quick build. Mainly because I'm not as young nor as quick as I once was. But then I'm thinking I will take on this project remembering an expression my Grandfather used to use, "like a cat eatin' a grubbin' hoe....slow and easy." Considering that and reading and watching this forum, I'm confident I can avoid some costly mistakes and added labor.

Hang in here with me and time will tell.

·
Administrator
13,138 Posts
I totally understand the age thing! I found once I get going though it's not as bad as I thought. I do wake up the next morning a bit sore, but then I get moving again and it's all good!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn’t get much accomplished over the weekend, at least not on the Morris. Friday evening I started marking the 1/8” plate to cut for re-enforcement of the frame where it is Z’d. I got side tracked cleaning up around the garage and in the wee hours of the morning realized I had just created more work than I honestly wanted to do at this time. After sleeping on it, maybe four hours, I decided Saturday morning to go ahead with the major clean-up I had been putting off for too long already. Soooo…..after two and a half days of sorting through what seems like tons of “stuff,” two pick-up loads of junk hauled to the dump, a trailer load of lesser junk hauled to the salvage yard and another trailer load of stuff that I’ve been saving for years “just in case I need it” destined for a yard sale, I haven’t cut out the first piece of plate.
Who was it talking about getting side-tracked/staying focused or the lack of? Is that an age related thing too? :D

·
Administrator
13,138 Posts
I'm too old to remember who said that Robert!:)
Actually getting things cleaned and sorted is a major step towards getting the car done! It never feels that way when I'm cleaning up, but afterwards it sure makes the build easier when I can work without my messes!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to confess......It's just been too hot to do any real work on the Morris. The day time temps have been 95-103 and nights have been in the upper 80's with the humidity around 80 percent. I spent a couple of weeks cleaning out the garage. And I have to admit, it was well worth it! I think I will definitely be able to enjoy working in this environment much more. I also, took advantage of a couple of the deals at Harbor Freight. I purchased one of their 2 ton floor jacks and a 7" polisher/sander. The sander will be great for finish work. My heavy duty Milwaukee grinder turns too fast for sanding discs....it just rips them apart. I went to National Welders to get Oxygen/Acetylene and the guy gave me a good deal on a new Milwaukee Sawsall. I have been needing that for several years, just didn't want to part with the $$. What the heck.........My old one owes me nothing. Been rippin' metal with it for over 15 years. I figure this should be the last one I'll ever need.
Anyway.........been doing a few small things, more plannin' and thinkin' mostly. I hope the heat will break soon and I'll be able to crank up the welder. Wow.......it's not even mid-July yet and August is yet to get here! Wish my ole' grandfather was here.......maybe he could explain the "cat eatin' a grubbin hoe" theory again. I have to keep reminding myself...........slow and easy! :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
Collecting tools is great. Just the few purchases I have made have really allowed me to do some work in my car. The sawzall is a very hany tool! I wanted to pick up one of those jacks also. I might get the 1.5 ton jack as it very light and only 69 bucks. Its perfect for my smaller cars.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMG_20120717_213555.jpg IMG_20120714_180035.jpg IMG_20120717_213909.jpg IMG_20120717_220504.jpg IMG_20120729_194300.jpg
The temps have finally gotten more tolerable. I spent a few hours in the shop doing some small jobs this past weekend. I cut the old brackets off the Dana 60 housing, ground the welds off and now have it ready for new brackets. I had picked-up some brackets off eBay a while back but I didn’t really like the length of them so I tacked them together, took them to the saw and cut about two inches off the lower end. Next I rounded the corners and cleaned them up. I’ll need to build-up with the mig where the bolt hole was, after I cut them apart. I then cut the front section out to allow the brackets to slip over the axle tube. After getting them in place I’ll weld the sections back in. They’re not really period correct………..but then who really cares?
I also drilled some 2X2X1/8X46” tubing to allow welding 1 ½ inch pipe in for nylon bushings. These will be my lower control arms that I am hoping will appear, from a distance, to be ladder bars.
Now if I can just get the frame welded!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The temps have finally gotten more tolerable. I spent a few hours in the shop doing some small jobs this past weekend......These will be my lower control arms that I am hoping will appear, from a distance, to be ladder bars.......
Looks good..... should work just fine. If you want to get more of a period look (ladder bar like) drill some lightening holes in the control arms.

I am "big" into using lightening holes & engine turning.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks John. I didn't mention it 'cause I wanted to see how this set-up works out first, and then I plan to drill and weld 11/4" tubbing into the holes.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s been a wet and stormy week-end in eastern North Carolina but a great week-end to get into the garage and do some cutting, grinding and welding. I finally got around to welding together the frame rails for the Morris. I didn’t weld the cross-members in yet. I spent several hours last week trying to make a driveshaft loop but was unable to produce anything satisfactory. I tried round tubing but didn’t have the proper tools to get a tight enough bend. Neither do I have the tools necessary to bend rectangular tubing……. so I have ordered one…… actually two…….. something I should have done much sooner……. before running out of patients and religion. Thanks again Steve for the link. Whenever the driveshaft loop comes in I can get a measurement of the width and know where to precut the rear cross-member. Maybe then I can get the cross-members installed and start putting some suspension together.

IMG_20120805_145136.jpg IMG_20120805_141134.jpg IMG_20120805_201127.jpg

A ways to go yet but at least...... something....... is taking shape! Yes! :D

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
That looks great, and to have a table to build it on is a great plus. I know the Morris is small, what's the wheelbase?

It'e been in the 90's and 100's here. Opposite problem - no AC in the shop and it is like an oven, even though it's insulated with eave vents.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
......... I got side tracked cleaning up around the garage and in the wee hours of the morning realized I had just created more work than I honestly wanted to do at this time. After sleeping on it, maybe four hours, I decided Saturday morning to go ahead with the major clean-up I had been putting off for too long already

Who was it talking about getting side-tracked/staying focused or the lack of? Is that an age related thing too? :D

QUOTE: 1946 Austin..... I'm too old to remember who said that Robert!

Actually getting things cleaned and sorted is a major step towards getting the car done! It never feels that way when I'm cleaning up, but afterwards it sure makes the build easier when I can work without my messes!
======================================================================================

I just reread this thread from start to finish.

I must have missed a post or two somehow.

There are quite a few "words of wisdom" & things you have been going thru that are some of the things I have been struggling with off & on these past couple of months.

I also have been going thru the same stuff......

LIKE CptBob has said..... All the preperations, gathering parts and pieces and the like are vital but you stand back and look a pile of parts and pieces and that's all you can make of it.

It seems like ALL I have been doing it collecting "stuff" with actually doing very "little REAL work" on the Opel over the past year since I picked up the Opel in an even-up trade for an El Camino.

As most of you know the biggest thing has been the remodeling of the workshop to accommodate the Opel. Of course that project spawned other projects in the workshop that really has escalated into over a 9 month++ project that I am still messing with.

Like has also been said it does feel good to be doing this stuff so when I finally DO start spending "dedicated" time to the Opel I can do it without tripping over things or having to STOP the work to do something else that needs to be done to or in the workshop.

I LONG to be doing the frame mods and front/rear suspension work that Robert is starting to do.

Just seeing that pile of steel 2 x 3's, etc..... has me itchin' to get started.

PLUS like Robert also said......I can't wait to see things taking shape. This definitely will NOT be a quick build. Mainly because I'm not as young nor as quick as I once was.

So thanks guys.... "I NEEDED THAT!!!!!

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
What a great post Robert ! ! This is going to be a great one to follow....... :D I do this every day and still get jealous when I see someone cutting tube and having fun. Great looking jig bench Rob, they are invaluable when it comes to making life easier when building anything that needs square.. I'm glad to see the inside plate with rosette welds, they work well in keeping the joints together. Also the nice stout lower link bars. Are you going to make one end adjustable, or make your top links adjustable ?
Can't wait to see more progress, keeps me motivated :D I subscribed :D :D

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks MT.....the stock wheel base is 86" but I am going to stretch that to 90". I don't have the old rule book or haven't taken the time to look up the minimum wheel base for the mid to late sixties but 90" comes to mind. I remember us having to move the front axle forward on the Anglia to comply. I'm going 2" on both ends. That will give me some needed room for the rear tires also. :)
I think it has been just plain HOT everywhere this summer.

·
Administrator
13,138 Posts
Great looking welds and fab work Robert!
I didn't have any way to really bend a driveline loop either, but got a tip from a fab guy who uses heavy wall pipe sections to make his driveline loops. I used 6" pipe in a 2" thick cut. Welded tabs on the edge to mount it, then cut it in half. One half makes the top, and the bottom is bolted to it to make the loop removeable for service. Mine is 3/8" thick, so very strong too.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks Guys for the words of encouragement. It makes it easier to maintain focus on a slow moving project.
John…you are correct. The two of us seem to be fighting some of the same battles. And I believe, in the end, we will win the war. It’s motivating to have positive things happen, such as your fender flare removals. Those type experiences are what keep us all moving forward, focused and interested in what we’re attempting to accomplish. Hang in there Buddy! :D
And Steve, I would be completely lost without my jig. I cannot even begin to estimate the worth of it over the past 25 or so years. There have been very few welding projects completed here that didn’t involve the jig in one way or another. I’d say it may be the most useful investment I ever made. :) I’m not making the lower links adjustable. I hope that’s not a mistake. I think I can get enough adjustment from the upper links if needed. I’m thinking, if I get the pinion angle fairly close in the beginning, I should be o.k. The inside plate is just for piece of mind. Probably not necessary but certainly can’t hurt either. The 1X2 driveshaft loop incorporated into the 2X3 cross-member should add some rigidness to the frame and help eliminate some twisting. As you already know, I kinda’ stole that idea from your builds. :D

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
If ya haven't cut already just a small suggestion, I like to cut my center of the crossmember almost all the way around but leaving about an inch and a half uncut on both sides so the crossmember it's self stays straight, until I get it tacked in place with the frame rails. Then I tack that to the jig and then cut the center free and tack weld the loop in. Then when all else is tacked in I then weld the loop in, which causes the crossmember to pull pressure in then weld the frame rails which the stresses force outward. Like I said just a suggestion :D

I like to do the same with the main roll bar which keeps constant pressure towards the outside of the car. :D

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again.....Steve. But I had already kinda stole that idea too from the Kubvan build.:p

One of these days I'll figure out how you guys are copying and reposting pictures and caption from other posts. Computer Savvy I am not. I'd rather be welding! :D

1 - 20 of 295 Posts