Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did the hello/new guy thing. Let me present my plans (sorry no pics at present).My 150 was a four door sedan but I have already started the two door conversion. I know this has been discussed on other sites including Youtube. I did mine different from most that I have seen. I cut two front doors and put them together to make a longer Two-door door.The posts were moved back the appropriate amount.
My plans for the car include a front axle & springs from a 55-59 Chevy truck. I have the axle & springs bought for $20 but have not gotten them yet. I DO NOT want to cut the frame. I also DO NOT want disc brakes. I plan to check into getting the truck hubs/drums redrilled to the car 5 on 5 3/4 bolt pattern.Anybody done that? I have some Torquethrust style wheels that I want to use. 15s for the back and 14sfor the front. I mighty use a 472 Caddy engine and TH400 trans that I have in the car. I would love to have a 4speed car but I have a knee problem and don't know how much longer I will be able to drive a stick shift. I plan to paint the car Sierra Gold and Adobe Beige or something very close, similar to whats on Icody's 57. I've never seen those colors on original 57s except for Belairs but I've always liked them.I've read every post on here today and am looking for more. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Welcome Thom! What we used to do (at least I did!) was find a pair of '49-'54 passenger car drums, and put them on the truck axle to get 5 on 4.75" pattern. They fit right on and use the same spindles and bearings.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Welcome Thom
Great forum. Great cars. Looking forward to your conversion. I believe there is another 4dr conversion in the projects thread.
Mario

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thom, Vall is correct on the hub/drum swap I think your car hub/drum set will transfer over to the truck axle.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Welcome Thom... we have similar builds. I converted my '55 4-door over to a 2-door using 2-door donor parts. I also have the '59 truck axle. I had originally put it on the original frame but later decided to stub it.

Can't wait for the build thread!

Mike

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Glad you posted up Thom. I don't have a tri-five in the hunt but I love 'em just the same. With a strong preference for the '57's. Looking forward to watching your 4 to 2 door conversion build.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts